Chinese-Forums

Nokia candy bar type phones?

Pengyou

I had the most horrible experience today - probably the worst in the past ten years in China.  Somehow or other I lost my mobile phone....long story - won't go into it.  I have resolved to do many things during this day - besides cursing the day that electricity was discovered.  One of them...I was thinking of buying a Nokia candy bar style phone to use as a backup.  I am going to buy a backpack that has a battery stored in it and can be charged by plugging a card into a port in the backpack.  Yes, it may be overkill....unless you had a day like today!  I can get a second phone number for it for cheap, and just leave it turned off until something happens - either my phone disappears or breaks.  Does anyone have any experience with this style of phone in China today?  I think it still runs on it's own operating system.  The appeal?  They are small, well constructed and the battery life is great...and they are only 400 rmb, so a cheap backup.

If it can't run Wechat, its usefulness is sharply limited today.  Nokias can do SMS and phone calls and that's about it.  They had some kind of online service called Monternet that I could never get to work.  The last time I fired one up as a backup phone many years ago, I was impressed by the week-long battery life.  

An el cheapo Xiaomi for a backup phone costs ¥800 new, and I'm sure they can be had for ¥400 used.  Heck, you can have my old Xiaomi Max 2 for that much.  

Someone told me there are "child plans" that you can get for a SIM card, that are linked to your main account, for those smart watches that kids all seem to have these days.  I was going to get a GPS tracker, (gps定仪器) and stick one of those secondary SIM cards in it.  Then if someone removes my movable property, I'll be able to track it down and get it back.  Still haven't investigated it though.  

I'm also doubtful whether it makes sense to get a non-smart phone as a backup.

It certainly makes sense to keep your main phone backed up. I'd put a lot more time and effort into that than having a standby phone.

Maybe a backpack with some backup gizmo would work.

I have one of those old Nokias that I take when traveling in other parts of Asia. Buy a SIM card and use it for a week. Used for phone calls and SMS messages, communicating with a guide, calling a taxi, making a dinner reservation and such. This way my main phone isn't cluttered up with ads from half a dozen remote locations after I get back to Kunming. 

These are still on sale new in phone shops in Kunming. The battery comes out and can be charged while out of the phone.