Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

amytheorangutan

Calligraphy Class in London

amytheorangutan

Anyone here can recommend a good calligraphy class in London? I’m following youtube instructions at the moment to practice basic strokes but I feel like I’m most likely not doing it right and don’t want to accumulate bad habit because I have no one to give me feedback and fix my hand position or brush movements etc. Probably won’t be able to go to a class until next year due to Covid but would love some recommendations. Preferably where the class size is not too big because I actually want to learn and not just go to random once off workshop with 20 people and 1 teacher who’d only have 2 minutes to spend on one student. 

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Shelley

As you are looking in London, why not try SOAS, they have a large Chinese department, maybe they do some evening classes or similar.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/

• Like 1

the madman

Hi

These are nice people, try them.

https://www.ccc.org.uk/music-arts-and-craft-classess/

I think it’s on line at moment but when we are back to more normal it’s just off Leicester Square. 

regards.

• Like 1

amytheorangutan

Thanks guys! @Shelley I looked at SOAS website but couldn’t find any info about calligraphy class. I might try to contact their mandarin short courses admin to see if they have something like that. 

@the madman are you one of their students? How’s the class conducted? How many people are normally in the class? I just looked at the website, the fee is very reasonable. 

the madman

I am not a student so no idea how many people etc. I did help out there before retiring and still see them for New year as help with the organisation of the Chinese New Year celebrations in london.

the CCC ( Chinese comunity centre ) is a charity so all the fees go to running the centre, doing outreach ,legal services, Heath services etc for the elderly chinese in Westminster and london as a whole. Contact them they are usually very helpful. 

regards.