Chinese-Forums

3rd tones in a row...

TaxiAsh

If you just want to practice then Allset Learning (of Chinese Grammar Wiki fame) have youtube playlists for doing just that, with all 16 tone-pairs.

A2 level tone-pairs playlist (or just watch the 3-3 video for third tone + third tone)

B1 level tone-pairs playlist (3-3 only) 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 12:59 AM, TaxiAsh said:

found another one, same site

https://youtu.be/dqaihEaa__I

That's really interesting, I never clocked that 1999 is parsed as 19·99 when applying sandhi.

Note, however, that 1998 is still yī jiú jiǔ bā, because the rule disallowing two consecutive third tones takes precedence over everything else. The first 九 in 1999 is only allowed to reclaim its third tone because the second one is already sandhi-ed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demonic_Duck said:

That's really interesting, I never clocked that 1999 is parsed as 19·99 when applying sandhi.

Note, however, that 1998 is still yī jiú jiǔ bā, because the rule disallowing two consecutive third tones takes precedence over everything else. The first 九 in 1999 is only allowed to reclaim its third tone because the second one is already sandhi-ed.

For others to save time, this link is time linked to the part in question... https://youtu.be/dqaihEaa__I?t=364

Yes, although these kinds of technicalities are above what I'm learning, I like to try and learn things correctly from the start ?

I thought dates were simply the 4 digits in a row, I didn't know they were 'split' like this. Shame the free lesson runs out, as I would have liked to watch all of this one!