Chinese-Forums

Looking for advise on staying to going to China

Pizzamaster

Hi,

I have a dilemma going on and I wanted to know if anyone can share their experience studying outside of China. Have you been able to reach the level you were aiming for?

The reason I ask is that me and my family were planning on moving to China after my degree. I was hoping to reach good enough Mandarin level to do a masters in China afterwards since we will be there anyways. But right now I am debating on finished my degree here in Canada (2 years left) then going to China and learning Mandarin while working, or even taking a full year to study Mandarin full time, or I try to reach a good enough level to do a masters by the time I go to China. I'm just not sure if I can find a way to stay in Canada and reach the proficiency I am seeking. It's hard to practice speaking in particular.. The other option is I take this scholarship I have available right now for TJU and go to China early and to do a degree in Chinese language (I'd start from year one though, naturally).

If you can do a masters in Canada, at a decent university, that is usually a better choice than doing a masters in China.

Some options:

- Finish degree in Canada, take Chinese classes when you have time, go to summer school in China or Taiwan. See you feel about things once you've finished the degree and figure out next steps.

- Finish degree, apply for scholarship in China, study Chinese for a year, see how you feel about future steps.

- Go to China for a semester as an exchange student as part of your degree.

- Finish degree in Canada, finish masters in Canada, then go to China and study for a year, or find a job there and study in your spare time.

- Study your degree for another year, something else entirely happens, and you no longer desire to study Chinese. Finish degree, make different choices, live happily anyway.

Not sure who your family are (your spouse and children? Or your parents and siblings?), and what factors they are weighing in thei decision on moving (are they going to move to China anyway or are they waiting for you to finish your degree?).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...