Chinese-Forums

中外合作辦學

Kenny同志

Hi folks,

When doing a sample translation for my next lesson, I came cross this phrase, i.e. 中外合作辦學.  Do you have any idea how it should be translated the second time it appears in the following text? Thanks in advance for your help. 

Any comments on my translation are also welcome. 

国际著名高等学府看好并落户中国,中外合作办学对正在探索中的中国高等教育改革提供怎样的启示?
With high hopes for the Chinese market, top Western universities are setting up branches in the country, often in partnership with local universities. What inspirations can be drawn from this form of cooperation for China’s ongoing higher education reform?

PS: I prefer 'Western universities' but what do you think of 'international universities' in this context? Anyway, by '國際著名高校", the author means leading Western universities. 

由华东师范大学和美国纽约大学共同创办的上海纽约大学日前进入正式筹建阶段,将落户上海陆家嘴金融贸易区,引发各方高度关注。 Preparatory work has officially begun for the building of New York University (Shanghai) since the other day. The University, which is to be jointly established by East China Normal University and New York University, will be located in the Finance & Trade Zone of Lujiazui, Shanghai, drawing intense attention from different communities.

近几年来,越来越多的国际著名高等学府看好并落户中国,中外合作办学在让中国学生获得更多选择机会的同时,能在多大程度上对正在探索中的中国高等教育改革提供启示?中国教育那些饱受诟病的顽疾会否受到洋大学的冲击而产生鲶鱼效应?国外知名大学的到来会否缩短中国建设一流大学的进程?
In recent years, an increasing number of leading Western universities have come to set up their branches in China for its promising market, often by forming joint ventures with local universities. While such partnerships provide more choices for Chinese students, what inspirations can we draw from it for China’s ongoing higher education reform? With the impact from Western universities, will a catfish effect be unleashed on some of the longstanding deplorable problems of China’s education system? And will it shorten the time required for China to build a number of world-class universities?

I see the noted Sinologist Elizabeth Perry uses the phrase "academic joint ventures" in this (co-authored) paper, which she shortens to joint venture on repetition : https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/elizabethperry/files/perry_and_tu_cultural_imperialism_redux.pdf Although the term is more familiar from the business world, seems appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

19 hours ago, Jim said:

I see the noted Sinologist Elizabeth Perry uses the phrase "academic joint ventures" in this (co-authored) paper, which she shortens to joint venture on repetition : https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/elizabethperry/files/perry_and_tu_cultural_imperialism_redux.pdf Although the term is more familiar from the business world, seems appropriate.

I amended my translation of the last paragraph. Thanks again for your help, Jim.