Chinese-Forums

CSC scholarship 2020+ (2.2 UK grade) BA East Asian Studies to MA Art History etc

dreamingxian

Hi everyone! 

I'm thinking of applying for a masters with language programs. I have a degree in East Asian Studies and have previously studied Korean to an advanced level. I've been learning a bit of Mandarin in my spare time. But my final grade for my degree is a 2.2 (UK grade) so I've been worried about getting scholarships etc. Do you think this grade will be okay? I also have a background/interest in art so I was thinking of applying to a Art History masters... or Chinese literature/arts etc. I would love to be able to get a job at a museum/gallery/cultural organisation/magazine/publishing house in the future. What do you think? 

Also, do you think we can apply whilst working in another country?

Thank you.

My experience is that the CSC scholarship rarely takes into account your BA grade, given that there are cases when you apply for a Master's before having a BA degree in your hand. The whole admission is a bit sketchy - language programs and Master's programs are definitely different, but for instance I did not get a langue programs scholarship when I first attempted with flawless (near maximum) GP on both of my BAs, while my coursemates with worse grades got it immediately (and some of them even got a Master's scholarship right after).

Do you want to study in Chinese or English in your Master's? There can be a big difference in terms of the entry requirements. If I remember correctly, Arts and Humanities masters are used to require HSK6 to be admitted, which might be a serious entry barrier if you start from a beginner level. There are universities that offer 2 years of language preparation instead of one, but this essentially narrows down the pool of potential universities, so you need to do your due diligence what can work for you.

You can apply if you're working abroad, if you can handle the application process remotely, there are notarizations required, etc., but experience shows that everything is doable remotely.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Ohh okay that's interesting! I was thinking of/in the middle of applying to teach in Korea again but maybe I can use my notarized documents for this...

I don't mind studying in Chinese after the language program since I would be at a good level by then. 2 years of the language program would be great! I'll definitely look in to that. 

Thank you! :)

For now, I've started the application with my embassy's number, masters in Art History taught in Chinese, with my preferences as Central Academy of Fine Arts, China Academy of Art, and Tsinghua University. I might change it to Chinese literature though...