Chinese-Forums

Urgent Visa transfer

Ciara

I am currently coming to the end of a contract and my visa expires on Jan 31. About 6 weeks. I want to change employers rather than renew, and have been offered a new position, just this week. I am currently in Jiangsu and the new job is in a different province  though just next to this one, Zheijiang.

I am terrified about the timeline though, and HR in the new job haven’t been very efficient so far, about getting the new contract together etc. I have been in touch with the director, and they don’t seem unduly worried, but I think they don’t know much about visa issues! They didn’t interview for this until last week, which seemed quite late to me.

Basically, my question is, is there enough time to transfer my visa before the expiration of my work and residence permit? If there is not, I think I’m better off staying where I am as the visa extension takes about three weeks .However, ideally I would like to change.

I can't answer your question directly, but I was surprised how slow work permits are being dealt with in Zhejiang compared to my experience in Beijing.

I arrived in China on 26 October (then 14 days quarantine), and will finally collect my passport with the residence permit in it on 23 December!

If the job is the same job (teacher before, teacher next), then I've heard that the transfer should be straightforward, rather than having to apply again, but I can't speak from experience. My previous job in BJ was officially "educational consultant" and since my newer job is officially a "teacher" I've had to go through the entire Z-visa application process all over again.

At least offices won't be closing down over Christmas, so as long as you get everything done soon you may be in with a chance before the Spring Festival shutdown begins?

Thanks for your reply. The new employer said that if my current employer were willing to issue a temporary stay visa, it could be done in time.

in the end, I decided to stay where I am. It seems easier to transfer position if some more time is left on the residence permit. Neither side were particularly helpful!