Jump to content
Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

2021 CSC Scholarships


titisam
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, 芒果乾 said:

Can I be nosey and ask which country you are applying from? From what I have seen, people in Africa and South Asia tend to apply for the scholarship. There are fewer applications from people in western countries.

 

I am from Southeast Asia, Singapore to be precise! 

 

9 hours ago, 芒果乾 said:

All the overseas Chinese (华裔) people in SJTU that I was hanging out with last year had advanced level Mandarin.. they were in the highest Chinese language class.. 高三!They made the most of their time in Shanghai by going to restaurants that had Chinese only menus and speaking in Mandarin only to locals

 

I actually studied Chinese as my "Mother Tongue" (technically I should have 2 Native Languages and be fluently bilingual) in school from when I was 7 till about 18 haha. I can have decent conversations in Chinese, order stuff at restaurants etc. but I barely ever use Chinese in Singapore, so my speech is admittedly stunted from lack of use. I would say my main problem is reading and writing, my speech is at a pretty high level (and I've been told by Chinese friends that I sound Taiwanese for some reason) but my reading and writing is maybe at 小学 level lol.

 

My parents, grandparents were all born in SE Asia as well, I have no living relatives that I know of still in China. So I'm basically as good as 老外 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

On 1/22/2021 at 6:25 AM, shepherdspie said:

I am from Southeast Asia, Singapore to be precise! 

 

Interesting. Never heard of Singaporeans applying for the scholarship before. I came across Singaporean Chinese people on exchange at SJTU and their Mandarin Chinese was much better than mine 😂

 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:25 AM, shepherdspie said:

my reading and writing is maybe at 小学 level

 

Don't worry about speaking, it will improve dramatically as you will be forced to speak Mandarin every day when in China. After spending a year and a bit in Shanghai, I can say my speaking and listening improved for sure. 

 

Definitely up your reading and typing skills. Communicating with university staff in Chinese (as in WeChat messages or email) gets quicker replies. If you make local Chinese friends, they prefer to message in Chinese or talk in Mandarin, even if their English is decent. A lot of the cheap and cheerful eateries that locals visit do not have menus in English. 

 

You are gonna love the reasonably priced food and bubble milk tea. I have been to Singapore before, the food there is awesome, Breadtalk in SG sell the best pork floss buns on planet Earth, but China in general is on another level!

 

I miss the food and bubble milk tea in Shanghai so much that I wanna go back to study Chinese for another year. It makes no financial sense as I should be earning money in London at my old age but as the youth these days say.. YOLO 😂

 

Good luck with your application.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2021 at 3:08 AM, yangyizhi said:

is it true that we cannot apply to the same university via embassy track and university track? a friend just told me this information, although, he just claimed that he read it somewhere... 

i think it's fine, but nobody really knows how the process goes. also, presumably, applying to different institutions could improve your likelihood of getting it, so for that alone it could be a good idea to put different unis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2021 at 4:11 AM, 芒果乾 said:

Interesting. Never heard of Singaporeans applying for the scholarship before. I came across Singaporean Chinese people on exchange at SJTU and their Mandarin Chinese was much better than mine 😂

 

Indeed! It's an increasingly popular undergraduate exchange/overseas internship location that people do for maybe a month or semester tops, but literally NO ONE studies there full-time. Popular overseas destinations are still the UK, Australia, and the US, Singaporeans don't really pursue educational opportunities within Asia itself in general. I think everyone else is missing out though HAHA 

 

And wow, perhaps I am being too harsh on myself and my Chinese is actually good then haha. I can always dream 😅

On 1/26/2021 at 4:11 AM, 芒果乾 said:

I miss the food and bubble milk tea in Shanghai so much that I wanna go back to study Chinese for another year. It makes no financial sense as I should be earning money in London at my old age but as the youth these days say.. YOLO

 

Do it man! I find that learning languages is really a long-term investment anyway? I used to HATE being forced to learn Chinese growing up, I only wanted to speak in English. But when I lived overseas for a bit, I made many Chinese friends and had interesting conversations thanks to speaking the language (although badly haha). I'm also in the midst of learning Japanese now, which has proved surprisingly useful in landing random job opportunities/connections that would otherwise have NEVER considered me. And you're right, we only have one life, might as well live it to the fullest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, yangyizhi said:

is it true that we cannot apply to the same university via embassy track and university track? a friend just told me this information, although, he just claimed that he read it somewhere... 

 

I can't speak for all universities, but for the university I'm applying to (SJTU) they explicitly state that you have to choose only one track to apply for, you can't do both.

 

Meaning: 
For example if I apply for the CSC Scholarship University track through SJTU to study philosophy, I cannot then also apply for an embassy track scholarship for the same philosophy programme to "double my chances". Applying for one track disqualifies you from applying for the other. 

(However, if for example I'm applying to study Philosophy at SJTU, but also applying to Engineering at SJTU, I think it's possible to do the embassy track for one and university track for the other if you want to? Don't take my word on this though, I'm just guessing, but I feel the idea is they don't want you to "double your scholarship chances" by using both at the same time on the exact same course)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi, all!

It's my first time applying for the CSC Scholarship and I'm feeling pretty lost - and late to the game, tbh haha. 
Just wanted to check with you all because I can't seem to find this information explicitly anywhere else: is it possible to apply for Type A and Type B/C at the same time? Will I need to creat multiple accounts at the CSC website for that?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

i just check this group and hope someone can give me explanation. if i got scholarship from local government and i accept it, am i still possible to get CSC scholarship? because the class will start online on March (which i really confused since if i'm not mistaken, i apply for September intake), so i don't have any preparation (i still work as an employee).  And since the local government scholarship only cover partial tuition, i still hope that i'm lucky enough to get CSC scholarship.

what will happened if i'm not taking the local government scholarship? am i will be blacklisted from all scholarship in China? 

 

Any answer is really appreciated! thank you and stay safe everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2021 at 12:43 AM, siji said:

if i got scholarship from local government and i accept it, am i still possible to get CSC scholarship?

If it's a one-off scholarship, eg. your local government gives you $500 only one time, then it's fine. If it's a long-term scholarship, eg. your local government pays for your school fees every month, then that's not officially allowed. 

 

According to CSC, CSC scholars can only hold one type (type A, B, or C) per person and cannot have more than one scholarship. If they find out that you have another scholarship apart from CSC, they will cancel your CSC scholarship. This is only if they find out of course.

 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:43 AM, siji said:

because the class will start online on March (which i really confused since if i'm not mistaken, i apply for September intake)

You should contact your school to clarify this, because there's no way CSC will start paying your school fees this month onwards even if you do happen to get the scholarship. I think all CSC scholars will only know the results between June - August.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2021 at 5:55 AM, shepherdspie said:

If it's a one-off scholarship, eg. your local government gives you $500 only one time, then it's fine. If it's a long-term scholarship, eg. your local government pays for your school fees every month, then that's not officially allowed. 

 

Hi, thank you for your answer..they said they will pay 5000 RMB to cover the tuition/semester, i have to pay by my self for the rest. so i guess, it's fine? 

 

On 3/7/2021 at 5:55 AM, shepherdspie said:

You should contact your school to clarify this, because there's no way CSC will start paying your school fees this month onwards even if you do happen to get the scholarship. I think all CSC scholars will only know the results between June - August.

i'm not applying under CSC for local government scholarship, i applied direct to the campus and choose local government scholarship for my source of fund. but i guess i can't take this opportunity, because i still have job contract until August. if i'm not taking this scholarship, am i will get blacklisted from all of China scholarship? since i'm still waiting for my CGS result.  thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, siji said:

i'm not applying under CSC for local government scholarship, i applied direct to the campus and choose local government scholarship for my source of fund. but i guess i can't take this opportunity, because i still have job contract until August. if i'm not taking this scholarship, am i will get blacklisted from all of China scholarship? since i'm still waiting for my CGS result.  thank you!

Ah I see, in that case no. You can't hold a local government scholarship + CSC at the same time, especially if it seems they will give you RMB5000 per semester to cover school fees. But if they give you RMB5000 only one time and no more money ever again then I think that should be okay, although in general I don't think you can mix and match different Chinese scholarships? 

 

No, I don't think you'll get blacklisted since you're not even accepting the programme. But you should write to your school to ask if you can start in September and ask why they're putting you in March when you applied for September though, since you're still waiting for the CGS result. Imagine if you do get it, would be a real pity to not be able to take the scholarship just because the school wanted you to start early and you couldn't.

 

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members

Hi everyone, 

 

Am new here and was wondering if anyone here have had an interview for the CGS?

 

I have been informed of an interview which involves (1) psychological test, (2) language proficiency test, (3) Q&A, and am freaking out about the psychological test. 

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi, does anybody know what the deadline for submitting the CSC scholarship is for this year (2021). I had a last minute change of heart so I've just managed to submit an application for the scholarship. Have I missed it for this year?

I read somewhere online that the deadline might be 30th April but I'm not sure if the source was accurate. Also, does the date of application  submission affect the outcome? For instance, do earlier applicants have a higher chance of success?

TIA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@马M Tomorrow is the last day I believe for applications. If you don't have all the documents you need right now, then you are probably out of luck unfortunately.

 

Btw, does anyone else have "in progress" for their CSC application type A? Didn't know if it was anything significant. Does it mean I have a high chance of being accepted now?

 

The status list is on here: https://www.chinesescholarshipcouncil.com/csc-scholarship-and-universities-online-application-statu.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members

@luckjp I also have 'in progress' on my CSC application type A. I hope it means that we'll have a higher chance of being accepted :P 

 

But I haven't submitted my foreigners medical form yet (my embassy said that we can send it later, due to the pandemic) so I'm not sure if that's why my application still says 'In Progress'.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, luckjp said:

Btw, does anyone else have "in progress" for their CSC application type A?

I have "in progress" for my Type A application status as well. Have you done your interview as yet?  I heard from a friend that once you get a confirmation letter after the interview then you don't have to worry but I did not receive one after my interview and I'm freaking out. Has anyone here done the interview for Type A and received a confirmation letter afterwards or do we just have to wait for the results in July?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, China2021 said:

Has anyone here done the interview for Type A and received a confirmation letter afterwards or do we just have to wait for the results in July?

 

On 4/30/2021 at 12:57 AM, catsup said:

I hope it means that we'll have a higher chance of being accepted

 

On 4/29/2021 at 1:42 AM, luckjp said:

does anyone else have "in progress" for their CSC application type A? Didn't know if it was anything significant. Does it mean I have a high chance of being accepted now?


Hey guys, sorry to burst your bubble but "in progress" basically just means they've touched or looked over your application. It doesn't mean you've gotten anything.

 

In my case, I emailed my embassy after my interview to ask if I was nominated and they told me that unfortunately I was not :( So that means I have no chance of getting CSC through Type A, even though the status on the portal says in progress. Try contacting your embassies after your interviews to see if you've been nominated, that'll tell you if you've got it or not (a nomination basically means you've 100% gotten it).

 

Putting all my hopes on SGS and my Type B scholarship application now, good luck everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shepherdspie said:


Hey guys, sorry to burst your bubble but "in progress" basically just means they've touched or looked over your application. It doesn't mean you've gotten anything.

 

In my case, I emailed my embassy after my interview to ask if I was nominated and they told me that unfortunately I was not :( So that means I have no chance of getting CSC through Type A, even though the status on the portal says in progress. Try contacting your embassies after your interviews to see if you've been nominated, that'll tell you if you've got it or not (a nomination basically means you've 100% gotten it).

 

Putting all my hopes on SGS and my Type B scholarship application now, good luck everyone!

I think am confuse here now. Please I didn't get any invitation for interview not to talk of nominated. Please did you apply to your preferred university and if yes what was your status in the university portal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...