Chinese-Forums

The 2021 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

Tomsima

First Quarter Goals:

• Continue reading at least 30 minutes per day and reviewing new words 10 minutes per day. 
  • Do some kind of active listening for 15-30 minutes a day

2nd Quarter Goals:

• Same as the above, but I would like to start practicing with a language partner again, maybe just a few times per week.

3rd/4th quarter stretch goals: 

• Find a tutor to help with my writing. 

• Like 4

@jannesanFor traditional I would highly recommend using the Defrancis readers and just start reading. If you're already fully confident in simplified, and acquainted with the way in which the two systems relate, this is the best way to hammer the characters home if you ask me.

• Helpful 2

Because the first 3-4 months of 2021 will be super busy work-wise, my main goal for the first third of 2021 is not to regress. I am a bit hesitant to make any goals for 2021. I guess, I will be happy with 2021 if I look back and I have:

1) read and listened to at least 1000 articles in TCB (at least 50% at HSK 5 level)

2) my reading speed has increased from around 50 CPM to to 150 characters per minute following Imron's method (https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/20007-what-to-study-after-heisig/page/3/)

3) I have completed Chinese Zero to Hero's HSK 4 and 5 videos [I have bought it during the Black Friday sales, but have not looked at it]

4) Finish 2 non-fiction books in Chinese

5) considering (according to Lichess) I have spent the equivalent of 21 whole days playing online blitz chess from April 2020 to December 2020 , I hope I can find a way to make learning Chinese as relaxing and addictive. Sadly, I believe I have not spent the equivalent of 21 whole days learning Chinese since April. When I am super tired from work and I have to choose between Lichess and Chinese, Lichess feels much less like "hard work". How do you make Chinese a "zoning-out activity"?

6) Continue shadowing and eventually start online speaking sessions again.

• Like 4

5) considering (according to Lichess) I have spent the equivalent of 21 whole days playing online blitz chess from April 2020 to December 2020 , I hope I can find a way to make learning Chinese as relaxing and addictive. Sadly, I believe I have not spent the equivalent of 21 whole days learning Chinese since April. When I am super tired from work and I have to choose between Lichess and Chinese, Lichess feels much less like "hard work". How do you make Chinese a "zoning-out activity"?

I have that goal also!  But I've gotten there with Spanish.  My "zoning out activity" (which feels virtuous because it's both language learning and entertainment) is watching Spanish telenovelas on Netflix.  Depending on the accent/country that the program is from (Colombian and Mexican accents are easist, Chilean hardest for me), as well as whether it's mainly dialogue or partly voiceovers (voiceovers have a more formal, dense style), I can understand most without having to go back and turn on the English subtitles and re-view.  And it's enjoyable, engaging and relaxing.  Educational, too, because I have to look up various cultural references that I don't understand.

My Spanish mastery is about two years ahead of my Chinese mastery, and with Chinese I can't watch anything yet and hope to get through it without hard effort.  So my goal for this year is to get over the hump and be able to watch some Chinese program mainly understanding it.  To get there, I bought a 6 month subscription to ChinesePod and have a year to go on my Chairman's Bao subscription.  I'll try to do a lot of listening at easier levels to try to make my comprehension more automatic.

But if anyone can suggest "transitional" resources for getting over that hump in Chinese, I'd appreciate it!  In Spanish, that was provided for me by several simplified telenovelas (video and audio) specifically designed for learners, with a plot, characters and some narrative drive as well as somewhat simplified vocabulary.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 4:32 AM, Tomsima said:

this is the best way to hammer the characters home if you ask me.

I agree. Going through flashcards of the character simplifications was useless for me. Going through a novel and looking up unknown words was much easier and much more effective. 

the de francis readers also sounds like a good option. 

On 12/25/2020 at 10:20 AM, Jan Finster said:

2) my reading speed has increased from around 50 CPM to to 150 characters per minute following Imron's method (https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/20007-what-to-study-after-heisig/page/3/)

Thanks for pointing me to this topic. I desperately need to improve my reading speed so I will be doing this. I like reading other people’s goals and objectives but I never have one ?

I'd like to transition from reading mainly textbook stuff into reading something else regularly. I've started reading Mandarin Companion graded readers, went through two of their breakthrough level books relatively easily, and have now transitioned to reading level 1 books. I'll probably go through all their level 1 books first and see if I can transition to level 2. At some point I'd like to start Chinese online comics as my reading level improves.

I feel like my listening ability lacks behind my reading, so I should do more listening practice. I'll be trying to watch more Chinese TV shows and movies and listen to audio versions of the Mandarin Companion books once I've read them.

Also, do more grammar and writing exercises from my textbook.

• Like 4

On 12/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, JF said:

I feel like my listening ability lacks behind my reading, so I should do more listening practice

I definitely know the feeling. It's so easy to just pick up a book rather than embarrass myself with the level of my listening skills Having never spent any extensive time in China, I need to concentrate on this. So, with this in mind, my plans for 2021 are;

1) Engage with a tutor online. I've had a couple of good suggestions on who to start with and so will initiate this in the next couple of weeks. Just making that initial step is a real block as I know my listening skills are poor compared to my reading and writing. I like the idea put forward by a recent new poster of an online group but, as is often the case living in New Zealand, when everyone else is awake, we tend to be asleep, so the times don't always work out.

2) Keep practising characters. I've recently gone right back to where it all started from for me. I started with the set of books YCSM (You Can Speak Mandarin) by Philip Yungkin Lee. Whilst I don't think they were particularly great, they obviously have sentimental value as it just seems easy to pick up the books and practise the characters every now and then. Plan to have a goal of 'x' amount of characters by the end of 2021 - I just need to set the level of 'x' to make it achievable and therefore more likely to be managed. Got plenty of reading material to help along the way that I've picked up in dribs and drabs over the years.

3) Try at least one Chairmans Bao per day. Life does get busy so I'm not going to beat myself up on this one and perhaps make the rule 5x/week. Only just recently started using the Chairmans Bao and it really works for me. Good way to launch into the listening too. Hovering around the HSK level 3/4 and still making mistakes on 3 so will carry on between these levels for now.

4) Take an interest paper in Chinese Diaspora. On offer through Massey University here in NZ in Semester 2 in 2021 from June onwards. Although this is in English and perhaps isn't as relative to this thread as other stuff, I've had a look at the paper on offer and it looks fascinating.

5) Plan for 2022. At the stage in life were there are no kids at home any more and plan to sell my business to free up time to spend some decent amount of time in China at some stage in 2022. COVID allowing, of course. The more effort I put in during 2021 will mean hitting the ground running when China travel does eventuate.

and of course....

6) Keep logging into this site on a daily basis. So inspirational.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Singe said:

Try at least one Chairmans Bao per day. Life does get busy so I'm not going to beat myself up on this one and perhaps make the rule 5x/week

1x per day, every day will be more useful than 5x week, but reading all 5 on the same day.

Life does get busy, but habit will always beat out motivation in terms of getting things done, so if you want to make progress on something try to make it a habit of doing it every day.  Use something like dontbreakthechain to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

My main goal this year is consistency. Spend an hour per day doing something.

Cantonese (45 minutes per day), some or all of the following:

Mandarin (15 minutes per day):

• Start going through the Go Ahead Drama series, mimicking and looking up new words.
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I have no luck setting goals around consumption. I don’t know if writing them down will motivate me at all. But if I set goals around production, then it’s a different ballgame.

So I’ll read more print manhua this year and write a post within the first two months of 2021 about “How to read print manhua in 2021”. Based on the research I’ve already done, the landscape is very different from several years ago and there are many more options.

I’ll also continue updating the Chinese Lyrics Challenge blog up to my previously stated goal of 100 posts. Actually I’ll almost certainly publish more than 100 entries, but I’m not sure by how much.

After the blog is done, I’ll switch to publishing the occasional theme playlists like I already did with the workout playlist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imron said:

Habit beats motivation

For sure! I've found my motivation wanes in days to weeks, but doing it whether or not I want to builds the progress that makes the activity motivating for me.

I also started trying "temptation bundling", pairing something I like to do with something that I want to make a habit: ie. Only eat snacks if I'm studying Chinese; Only watch English shows/movies if I'm exercising.

10 hours ago, feihong said:

I’ll also continue updating the Chinese Lyrics Challenge blog up to my previously stated goal of 100 posts. Actually I’ll almost certainly publish more than 100 entries, but I’m not sure by how much.

Today I planned out my publishing schedule for the entire year of 2021. I have enough songs in the queue to get through the entire year, so by the end of December 2021, I'll have published 123 posts.

• Like 2