Chinese-Forums

The 2021 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

Tomsima

On 10/19/2021 at 1:52 AM, Woodford said:

. Beyond that, I'll probably have to resort to iTalki or some similar platform, which I know isn't always an instant success, because you need to find someone who is personally compatible with you and does a good job

tbh I've found iTalki to be fairly reliable even when I've chosen cheapear tutors. Look at
1) The ration of students/lessons given

2) Their Profile (intro video and teaching philosophy which mean seem to write).

I am sure I (and others) can reccommend tutors depending on whether you are after fun conversations or more academic structured lessons. I think in your case you just need to build up  your speaking hours so you probably want casual conversations.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 1:15 AM, malazann said:

tbh I've found iTalki to be fairly reliable even when I've chosen cheapear tutors.

That's good to know! Thanks! Yeah, at this point, it's just about getting the chance to speak. Working on pronunciation is good, as well being told, "That's not the right way to say that--we say it this way instead." But it's primarily about the casual conversations at this point.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, Woodford said:

That's good to know! Thanks! Yeah, at this point, it's just about getting the chance to speak. Working on pronunciation is good, as well being told, "That's not the right way to say that--we say it this way instead." But it's primarily about the casual conversations at this point.

I've been using iTalki for about two years now mostly for this kind of casual conversations. There are truly awesome people there and you don't need to break the bank either to find them. If you like, I can recommend someone great who also reads a lot too.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, Woodford said:

To be honest, because I'm such an introvert, I have emphasized reading skills the most so far. But as that skill plateaus, I really need to start speaking Chinese more often, and perhaps seeing whether I can find someone to correct my writing/grammar. I have a friend from Tianjin who's willing to do a language exchange every week or so. Beyond that, I'll probably have to resort to iTalki or some similar platform, which I know isn't always an instant success, because you need to find someone who is personally compatible with you and does a good job. I think it will be the hardest part of my journey, but I just need to do it, likely starting next year.

Um, are you me? ?

• Like 3

I became massively interested in taking my English to the next level after reading Christopher Hitchens and feeling humiliated as to how many English words I (still) did not know. So, I have been inhaling several English books from authors such as Bertrand Russell, Theodore Dalrymple, Josef Conrad, etc and collected tons of new words and interesting expressions. I also started to read more books on psychology and philosophy (Rollo May, Nietzsche, Jung, etc). To my surprise, I found them quite accessible and it made me wonder if studying Chinese has made me smarter (?)

When it comes to the kind of books you are tackling, there are two kinds of difficulties in understanding that might overlap but often do not.

1)Not knowing the words or not being able to follow grammatically complicated material.

2)Not understanding the gist, what the author is driving at.

I am guessing you must be in tune with the manner of thinking of the English-language authors you are reading in psychology and philosophy.  Bertrand Russell prided himself on having a clean and popularly accessible prose style, so I believe he would be relatively easy on both #1 and #2 counts.  However, I have to say that, as a philosophy Ph.D. who had little problem with Hobbes, Hume, Heidegger, Sartre and even Kant and Derrida, I found Nietzsche one of the hardest authors ever to understand.  His words and syntax were not the problem.  I simply had a hard time understanding what he was driving at.  I knew he was supposed to be profound and important, but what was he saying, really?

In studying Chinese, I have both #1 and #2 types of problems.  In comparison with other languages I have studied (German, French, Spanish, Latin, Hebrew), I have much more of the #2 type of problem than with other languages, even when reading Chairman's Bao articles and also with articles in the official HSK books.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2021 at 10:41 AM, Moshen said:

Bertrand Russell prided himself on having a clean and popularly accessible prose style, so I believe he would be relatively easy on both #1 and #2 counts.

Bertrand Russell and Theodore Dalrymple are genius writers. Really easy to understand in terms of language. I read them mostly to improve my style. In terms of content, I found Russell fine as long as it was non-mathematical (which is not my cup of tea). I found Hitchens' style quite dissapointing and the content boring (at least his essays, which touch on UK/US matters of the 80s and 90s that I can find no time or attention for). But Hitchens is a walking thesaurus, a bit like John Bercow, so he is a great source of non-standard vocabulary for ESL speakers (I have yet to find the mundane word "very" in his writings). As for Nietzsche: I do not believe anyone like me, who never even had basic philosophy in high school, can understand him by just reading his books. So, I first watched several lectures on Youtube that cover his main ideas. Now at least I can find those main ideas in his texts. It gets really interesting when you read Jung's interpretation of Nietzsches Zarathustra, because neither of them are intuitively accessible.  As a German I found myself in the interesting situation of actually prefering the English translation of Nietzsches' 19th century writings. 

I am not sure why you struggle with the gist of the TCB articles. Are they not rather mundane? (I guess there may be cultural implications that escape me).

I am not sure why you struggle with the gist of the TCB articles. Are they not rather mundane?

Yes, they're mundane, and I do get the overall meaning and much of the details.  However, quite frequently they say what seem to me to be really strange things and it drives me nuts not being able to understand the context.  A simple example:  in an article about a crackdown on illegal fireworks being sold in Shanghai, they talk about what is rendered in English as "cold fireworks."  What the heck does that mean?  Are some fireworks cold and some hot??  Then they talk about these fireworks generally being set off indoors.  What???  How can someone set off fireworks indoors?  Even if that's very simple firecrackers, how would that not immediately burn down the building, every time?

https://www.thechairmansbao.com/illegal-cold-fireworks-confiscated-by-police-from-shops-in-shanghai/

Maybe I ask too many questions.  Or maybe the articles are written poorly by journalistic standards.  In English or Western journalism, those unanswered questions would have been addressed, I believe.

P.S. Bertrand Russell won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950.  In letters to his mistress, he referred to his works for the general public as "potboilers."  (That's a word generally used for low-quality fiction, like romances or adventure stories.)  He wrote them mainly for money!

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, Moshen said:

English as "cold fireworks."  What the heck does that mean?  Are some fireworks cold and some hot??  Then they talk about these fireworks generally being set off indoors.  What???  How can someone set off fireworks indoors?  Even if that's very simple firecrackers, how would that not immediately burn down the building, every time?

? 

Here is an example pic of indoor fireworks:

http://www.rscaiyan.com/lyh/361.html

So “冷烟花”是一种采用燃点较低的金属粉末 (http://www.xinhuanet.com/2021-02/06/c_1127071545.htm)

(As the text says they have a lower ignition point but then burn really hot.)

I agree, in this episode the author did not have the cultural awareness and should have put “冷烟花” ("cold fire works") in quotation marks.

(But so far, I have not come across many such texts on TCB)

I have not yet gotten to the point where I am reading advanced enough literature to be having this kinds of problems. These says my biggest problem is usually sentence-level grammar -- I just finished reading a chapter and there were probably about 4-6 sentences I had to run through DeepL because I just could not wrap my head around what the sentence was supposed to say. Of course, as soon as I did that, it all clicked into ppace with an "aha" moment.

My listening lags behind my reading,  but I think it's mostly because I have yet to find a mode of listening practice that is at all enjoyable for me. Having to constantly stop and rewind a podcast or video really kills the flow and enjoyment of whatever you're trying to listen to. 

For the next year, I'm also looking to do more listening practice to level that up, now I have reading under control.  Right now, the best candidate for high volume, tolerable effort listening practice I can think of, is to listen to audiobooks of books I've read in the past. 

The problems I have are mainly: 1. words are being spoken too fast, and 2. I can't understand a thing when I'm not paying absolute attention.  I have to play movies at 50-75% speed in order to understand them, with subtitles (either that or pause often).  Whenever I zone out even slightly, I'm lost and it takes me a long time to regain the context. 

If someone yells something at me (like car coming from the left), I'm never going to understand it, unless I'm already expecting it.  E.g. I'm playing Gujian3 now, a computer rpg game, I can follow it if I'm doing nothing but listening and reading, but the second I have to do something, fight, click a button to make a choice, I want to switch back to English, because I just missed all the clues / instructions.

Just like reading, I think quantity of words listened to is the only thing that'll fix that.  To get through a large volume of words spoken at normal speeds, I'm going to need training wheels (i.e. books I've read before).  I'd like to do as much practice as possible with no subtitles.  Ideally even when doing other stuff, once I get good enough.  Fortunately, there are hours and hours of Chinese audiobooks free online, including everything I've ever read.

My main concern with my plan is that I'm going to miss a lot of purely conversational language, so eventually I'll have to supplement my listening diet with more day-to-day, informal convo material.  So maybe I'll switch to @woodford's approach after listening for 100 hours (~2 million chars / 10 books).  But that's my tentative plan for now. 

• Like 1

I believe I will probably do something similar -- listen to audiobooks, once I'm far enough along. And the advantage there is that there are no pesky subtitles that would otherwise draw my attention. But I also love Chinese history, so I'll also be watching lots of documentaries in the future.

• Like 1

I think there's at least 2 aspects of being able to spend time doing something.  One is interest, of course, but the other is stamina. 

I just tried listening for an hour at regular speed, with less than full understanding but just letting myself flounder rather than look at text / subtitles, and I didn't have enough stamina and had to stop.  Just like when I started reading, I had no stamina, and couldn't get through a few hundred characters.  Building up my stamina is going to be my first step.

At some later point, I'll have to figure out something to measure so I can mark my progress (like with reading), but stamina first!

• Like 2