Chinese-Forums

Finding fellow learners to practice the language with? I'm hosting weekly meetings for learners of intermediate to advanced proficiency to meet each other.

ChineseTable

9 hours ago, jiaojiao87 said:

Hellotalk is a mainland-based company.  I don't find this filtering surprising, and am surprised that you do ?

Actually, this is my second time on HT and the block wasn't there the first time. 

What's particular annoying is I have paid money and severely restricted in the very thing that hellotalk was designed for. ....

I am not interested in Taiwanese Mandarin. There's a Chinese woman based in South America who responds to my ad hoc request but she's a bit wierd talking to me in Cantonese and asking all sorts of funny personal questions. Her Mandarin Chinese accent is also pretty regional south China and it's the thing that I am trying to avoid!

On 2/3/2021 at 2:13 AM, jiaojiao87 said:

I don't find this filtering surprising, and am surprised that you do

The filter is there for people based in HK (I am in HK) and Taiwan. You don’t have this problem. ?

They said they can’t remove the block that mainlanders have on my moments but at least I can see all of the mainland Chinese posts.

Wish I had known this before paying. The best feature is the instant access to a language exchange or in your case 100% Chinese.

The first time round was good except my mandarin level was too low. I deleted the app to stop it distracting me and worked at shadowing lots of sentences.

They said they will to try and come up with a solution.

I tried VPN but couldn’t change my location.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, roddy said:

That's the first time I've heard (which is not to say it hasn't been going on for many years) of that kind of finer-grained Greater China-specific blocking.

it came about after the 2019 riots in Hong Kong. I saw a lot of political posts and I suspect HT hadn’t at the time developed a means of moderating the posts. 

Anyhow I managed to work out a solution to my special status. I used an app to change my phone’s location to another country. I put up a test request for exchange and got a lot of almost instantaneous responses. Phenomenal. Previously I might not even get any replies in half an hour.

Had a great exchange with a guy in Shanghai. As we say in Cantonese, 搞定!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

我自己来插句话……

我也很感兴趣,因为身边的人都不怎么对中国文化感兴趣,于是我一直没有伙伴和我一起练习中文。

从某科学的角度看,可以说我是母语者,普通话相当好;我相信咱俩可以共勉学习,相辅相成。

要我说,遵循只说普通话的原则的所谓的中文桌,才是最好的中文桌形式。

嗯,就这样吧……我期待着你的回复。共勉共勉—加油!