Chinese-Forums

Chinese Cooking Skill exchange?

xbm

Hi @xbm

I looked at your channel. Here's how to get more interest in your channel:

A) You need to talk and give instructions - I watched a couple and there is no voice. 

B) reduce the music volume to barely audible - at the moment it's too loud and we are not interested in music. Personally I dislike background music because it makes it more difficult to concentrate on the speaker's voice

C) have the subtitles available so that people can copy them easily into other apps and learn how to read vocabulary - very good for people learning Chinese

D) the Chinese characters you have in the video need to be clearer - at present , the font makes it pretty hard to read quickly unless a person is very familiar with Chinese.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I like Guangdong style sausage 广式香肠 and frequently buy it in the store (in Kunming.) I would like to learn how to make it. 

As others have already said, your video has some major problems that make it nearly impossible to use as a learning tool. 

1. Watching your video, I had to pause it to read the written instructions. They were much too small and difficult to see. 

2. The music was annoying. Get rid of it. 

3. You need to narrate the process, tell us about what you are doing while you are doing it. Speak clearly and in a strong voice. 

Try your best to emulate Sichuan Chef Wang Gang 王钢厨师长 -- As here in this video where he makes 麻辣香肠: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aeVmkcspAM 

Note that he even summarizes the whole process at the end. This helps makes it a useful  instructional video. 

If you have some qualifications that would help attract viewers, don't be shy about stating them: "I am a butcher and cook, taught from a young age by my father and uncle. Spent 12 years cooking in the restaurants of Guangzhou and Hong Kong after which I opened my own house specializing in meats and meat products from the South of China." People would then pay more attention to what you have to say on the subject of making sausage. 

My favorite place to eat sausage in Kunming looped the long links from the rafters of the ceiling so you couldn't miss seeing them when you walked in. The waitress would point out which ones were ready, which others were still curing. A few were even hanging outside on the street. 

• Like 1

@xbm

https://youtu.be/EX_xXdxq7HY

Have a look at this channel - I first got to know of it through food. It’s pretty well made.

He doesn’t talk too fast, he talks quite clearly. He puts little jokes and stories into his videos which makes it really interesting. It’s not just the cooking.

The music is a bit too loud for my liking but his voice manages to carry over the music.

For his subtitles,  the English characters are very clear, though the Chinese characters could have been bigger. They are set on a black background which is very slightly transparent and makes it very easy to read. Because the black part is also slightly transparent, it doesn’t seem to  affect the rest of the picture.

Most, if not all of these types of videos don’t have downloadable subtitles - such a pity 

• Like 1

That’s a lot better!

Perhaps consider adding a quick summary at the end as suggested before. You can relax and talk in a more conversational style for the summary to help put your personality into the video. That would help the viewer make more of a connection to you as a presenter and keep people more interested. 

With the noodles , consider showing the final dish using the noodles. Is it served with beef, pork, vegetables, in soup or dry noodles? Give the viewer some ideas of how to use the noodles.

Looking forward to the next video. 

• Like 1

Yes, far better.

The sound volume though is too low, at least for me.

And the English has some problems. In particular you need to clean up the ingredients discussion right at the begining. This is the most important section for viewers. And mention what type of flour should be used.