Chinese-Forums

Chinese Language Youtube Channels - Recommendations Thread

StChris

I sampled a lot of these and liked 小叔TV best. Interesting travelogues of a sort and a conversational delivery that's not hard on the ear. Shame though he has to bring up 留学生 flying in from Miami while discussing a Covid resurgence in Beijing earlier this year.

Many of the others use jumpy editing or a shouting/emotional formal narration that's hard to take for more than a minute, if that. Sort of like those busy, crowded Chinese websites with stuff flashing and floating across the screen.

9 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

Dunno how he is still racking up so many views.

Looking at his thumbnails, two big reasons immediately jump out to me:

LiFUytB.thumb.png.9fa57bbbe4c0ab41c307a2cd9ec717c2.png

Not the most sophisticated tactic, but very effective. Actually, with both simultaneous English and Chinese subtitles, plus similar topics each video (increasing repetition of vocab), it might be a good channel for beginners/intermediate learners. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2021 at 8:42 AM, imron said:

Not YouTube, but if you like podcasts, check out soundon. They have podcasts on a broad range of topics. I quite like 那些你不敢跟老闆說的事

Wow that’s amazing resource! Thanks so much. Some of them are right up my alley

?

I’m editing my comment because I didn’t realise how much stuff was on Sound On! This is amazing! I also like 那些你不敢跟老闆說的事. I listen to 打個電話給你 and 東京模樣 on apple podcast and there are so many more of similar genre on Sound On.

I sometimes watch 和之梦. About foreigners in China, but less scripted and more spontaneous than the ones state media used to run, and you can practice Mandarin and Japanese at the same time if that's your thing. It kind of makes me feel younger, especially in 2020.

There's probably a small market for channels on music theory, but I'll add some anyway. Wiwi Guan's NiceChord is one of the best on Youtube, regardless of language IMHO. Taiwanese guy, great teaching style, he'll have you tell your oboes from your clarinets in no time. 

Teacher Andy talks about classical composers. Learn drums with Jemi, though I don't think she's posting new content anymore.

• Like 4

Did I miss 李子柒 among your favorable mentions? 

Li Ziqi (Chinese: 李子柒; pinyin: Lǐ Zǐqī; born 6 July 1990), birth name Li Jiajia (Chinese: 李佳佳; pinyin: Lǐ Jiājiā)[2] is a Chinese food and country-life blogger, entrepreneur, and internet celebrity.[3] She is known for creating food and handicraft preparation videos in her hometown of rural Pingwu, Mianyang, Sichuan, often from basic ingredients and tools using traditional Chinese techniques.[4][5][6][7] Her YouTube channel has more than 2 billion views.[8]  

(From Wikipedia) 

• Like 3

Many good recommendations here.

哇萨比抓马 WasabiDrama is a channel I've been enjoying lately. It's a simple concept: Mostly plot summaries of film and TV-shows, with the majority of them being foreign (i.e. not Chinese) ones. There's a fairly good variety (not only Hollywood, but also South Korea, European and other cinemas) in the content covered, and since I've seen many of the films/series I find that I'm able to pick up a lot that I otherwise probably would not have understood (had a couple of "aha" moments where I figured out the meaning of a word by virtue of being familiar with the plot). The relatively short length (mostly <30 minutes) makes it very "small task" friendly.

It's also a great way to discover interesting (mostly contemporary) films you may not have heard about (but needless to say, stay away if you are afraid of spoilers).

Example 1

Example 2

Another channel I subscribe to is 思维改变命运 王魄. The content is mostly "pop psychology" (this phrase might come off as derogatory, but I don't know of a better one to describe this kind of content), where Wang Po discusses common issues and challenges that most can probably relate to (but also stuff like making friends when living abroad (she's a Chinese living in Canada)) through the lens of modern psychology. I'm not really into it for the content, but I find it easy to listen to and get something out of while being short enough to finish while doing small tasks. (She also has this grandmotherly aura that I find very comforting - perhaps I should ask her what this means in one of her live Q and A sessions :mrgreen:)

Example 1

Example 2

• Like 4

On 1/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, carlo said:

Teacher Andy talks about classical composers. 

Fantastic! I need classical music vocabulary, I'm always short of words and it's one of my fav conversation topics. Teacher Andy's Chinese is good! Obviously a musician's Chinese.

47 minutes ago, Luxi said:

Teacher Andy's Chinese is good! Obviously a musician's Chinese

So glad you pointed this out, I originally skimmed over this recommendation as I know nothing of music theory, just enjoy listening. You piqued my interest and I have now discovered Andy's channel to be an excellent recommendation - he speaks so naturally and with such care about the music; I've ended up sitting and learning lots about pieces I'd never really given any thought to, fantastic.

You've got to hand it to a guy who can play through Clair de lune and effortlessly turn around and quote Li Bai following its conclusion

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice recommendations here, with some good niche channels. One of the great things about youtube and other video platforms is the ability to find content for more non-mainstream interests. I'm old enough to remember the pre-internet days as a young kid, and it took a real effort to find anything niche.

Once this thread gets to 2 or 3 pages I'll edit the OP to summarise everyone's recommendations. Right now the thread is still short enough as to make that unnecessary.

Some more recommendations:

As someone who likes both travel and eating (who doesn't?), I should in theory really enjoy travel/eating channels. Unfortunately, in reality I find most of these channels annoying, as they are more often than not hosted by some loud, gurning presenter, who pretends that everything they eat is the most amazing thing in the world. So I was happy to discover a Chinese language travel/eating channel that I actually quite like:

阿星探店Chinese Food Tour 

Google must know that I used to live in Harbin, as it recommended this video he recently filmed in the city. Now I feel both hungry and homesick! He has videos from many different cities in China, and his channel is well worth a look.

Another channel (much closer to home this time) is the London-based:

英伦郭哥一家人

It's the channel of a Beijing man who married an English woman, and has lived in London ever since. His son sometimes makes an appearance too, often acting as a translator for his mother (who doesn't speak Chinese). I believe he was/is a musician, and he has some great stories about his life, both in England and in China. In this one he tells the story of how he took his wife back to China in the 80s, but wasn't allowed to sit in the same train carriage as her, with the 软卧s of the time being reserved for foreign guests and high-level party officials. He had to sit in the 硬座 section instead, and was told to stop bothering the foreign woman when he tried to eat with his wife in the restaurant car! This one is another favourite of mine, where he talks about how people in the comments were saying that he looks and sounds like the type of Beijing guy who fixes bicycles or sells baked sweet potatoes on the street, how did he marry a nice, well-off English girl? I like how he handles it with such modesty and humour, it's a good watch.

Lastly, I watched a fair few videos from this dating relationship channel a while back, and while the advice might not be very useful to anyone over the age of 21, it's still worth it for gaining dating/relationship related vocab::

SKIMMY 你的網路閨蜜  

Topics include how to spot a 渣男 or 渣女.

• Like 3

sorry for a bit of self-promo here. i did look at OP and other posts and found interesting links, some professionally done, some niche, and some just plain fun. mine are maybe geared for.. i dunno, those who like things explained ad nauseam, but i think it has its place, and i'm constantly changing (well, at least i can tell) to hopefully make 'em better, so in case you're open to explanations in english and interested in hearing canto and mando side-by-side, here's:

https://www.youtube.com/user/notnowigottago

(the nice thing about these videos, is that there are accompanying podcasts, so for those who like to hone their listening skills, it may be somewhat useful...)