Chinese-Forums

Chinese Language Youtube Channels - Recommendations Thread

StChris

I realize this thread deals with on-line materials, but the large Xinhua 新华 book store in my part of Kunming had a whole section of books with the sort of content you are seeking. Chinese parents would take their kids there to stimulate learning in a non-classroom way. I also bought books there early on as an easy way of expanding my vocabulary.

Not all of it proved useful. Seldom did I need to know how to say "dolphin" in Chinese, but surprisingly enough "zebra" turned out to be extremely useful. (Quiz question: How did you use "zebra" in daily speech during your time in China?)

In the early part of this century, China was still "backwards" enough to have lots of physical, brick and mortar book stores. Book vendors with large displays on carts were also a frequent sight in parks on the weekend, sometimes in the lobby of a shopping plaza or just on the side of a road. Plenty of the material was educational stuff pitched at kids. 

Spoiler

斑马线 = zebra stripe crossing

1877633064_zebra1-Copysmall.PNG.a7e012dad2215b2a07dd60c3911e1901.PNG 782832574_zebra2-Copysmall.PNG.6e24cf57f2cf15857e4f7777d437b124.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 12:25 PM, anonymoose said:

Seems to have all kinds of travel videos from China. Also has Chinese subtitles.

She goes to some interesting spots, but she does not speak very clearly. Not just an accent; she slurs her words. Careless speech. But she is a champion stair climber; would not be surprised to learn that she is part mountain goat. 

1145109123_mountaintrailsmallcrop.PNG.9d213137d54c3832e31084bca69bed5e.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For some light entertaining listening pratice, I am enjoying street interviews and found a playlist of 1k+ videos filled with short street interview segments of ~2mins each - 街訪 - YouTube (even has soft subs!)

another similar playlist by same channel with 1.9k videos (not sure if theres overlap) - 廣州街訪系列 - YouTube  

Also I found a chinese Pick Up Artists youtube channel - 搭讪大师TV - YouTube and looking at his video titles, I am rather repulsed by his views. BUT he has some late night street interviews which is fun to pick up some naughty vocab - 【午夜街訪】 - YouTube (playlist 52 vids)

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

These are two of my favorites. I don't know if they've been posted yet. They are mystery/conspiracy/paranormal-type channels. Both ladies have very clear Mandarin (especially the second one), and there are subtitles, so it's suitable for learners.

脑洞乌托邦 and 阁楼研究室

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just discovered this channel, which is great for anyone interested in AI (she goes through how to use the tools etc):

常常99 - 99ai ? Jojo投资创业 - YouTube

If you were curious about what Trump or Musk would sound like if they spoke Chinese, then listen to this video from the 4 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/CxEiWN-Afrg?t=243

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:41 AM, StChris said:

If you were curious about what Trump or Musk would sound like if they spoke Chinese

That was totally fascinating! I have often been curious about stuff like that, and I was wondering when AI would bring it to fruition. I'm often curious as to what XJP would sound like if he spoke fluent English. 

I'm a bit of a technology geek and an IT employee by day, so that channel is a great find. I subscribed to it.

On 10/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, Woodford said:

That was totally fascinating! I have often been curious about stuff like that, and I was wondering when AI would bring it to fruition. I'm often curious as to what XJP would sound like if he spoke fluent English.

You should try it, it seems easy enough to do!

I also liked the bit where they took a non-native Chinese speaker's Chinese and improved it.

• 3 months later...