Chinese-Forums

CHINESE PHRASES DRILLS SUBSTITUION EXERCISES

NEWTON SCHITTINI

New Practical Chinese Reader text books have some of these in each lesson. 

These are books that need to be purchased, not aware of any PDFs as these would be against copyright.

However these are well worth buying as it is an excellent series of textbooks with audio, video and workbooks.

I didn't open the pdfs you linked to as there were quite a few and I didn't have time to look at them all, if there is one that is good example of what you mean can you post a link to just that one?

Please, do you know a Chinese textbook that teaches/explain this idiom/language with ideograms/Pinyn and  through/using figures, drawings, diagrams, pictures/illustrations, etc. like the English example attached bellow? .. I like it very much...and it is great if substitution drills exercises at end of each lessons...Thanks for all...Regards, Newton

CHINES FIGURAdesenhoILUSTRAT 11 @@.pdf

Good morning .

Me again, Shelley.

Please, do you know a Chinese textbook that teaches/explain this idiom/language with ideograms/Pinyn and  through figures, drawings, diagrams, illustrations, etc. like the attached example? Please, do you know a Chinese textbook that teaches/explain this idiom/language with ideograms/Pinyn and  through/using figures, drawings, diagrams, pictures/illustrations, etc. like the English example attached bellow? .. I like it very much...and it is great if substitution drills exercises at end of each lessons...Thanks for all…Best regards, Newton Schittini

CHINES FIGURAdesenhoILUSTRAT 11 @@.pdf

I'm interested in these drills, too, especially if there's audio available. From the looks of them, being completely in romanization (pinyin) at a reasonably intermediate level, I would guess that they're not from a Chinese publication, but from one of the book series published by Tuttle, and written by Cornelius Kubler. Chinese materials would have long since defaulted to characters only. Kubler has two series in print with Tuttle, one similar to the FSI course, and a newer one on a slightly less grand scale.

The former has a large number of pdf files for drills that continue on beyond the printed chapters in the book, These additional chapters are available on a CD ROM included with the audio for the printed text. Because Kubler seems to be a firm believer in separating reading from other learning tasks in Chinese, the books are divided into parallel romanized and character sets

I'm out and about right now, and don't have any of the books at hand, so I can't check; but I'll let you know what I find out when I get home. I only have the intermediate romanized books, so if these PDFs are from the introductory volume or the hanzi version, I won't have them. But I'm sure that I can confirm whether they are part of the set based on page layout.

My wife just returned with an armful of purchases, so it's time to drink up and lug everything home.

I'll be in touch...

It seems I was right: this PDF file is from the intermediate book by Cornelius Kubler. The book is:

Intermediate Spoken Chinese (with a workbook called Practice Essentials)

ISBN: 9780804840187

Don't go out and buy this book without taking a good look at what's in it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an excellent book, but it's part of an integrated series that aims to be a full course requiring a great deal of effort and trained linguists as teachers. If you're just starting out, I recommend you go to the Tuttle website,

www.tuttlepublishing.com, and look at Kubler's new series, too. This may be more appropriate to start with if you don't have a lot of experience with language studies, or with Chinese in particular.

TBZ

Hello, once again I have not looked at the PDFs you have attached as I do not want to save them to my PC.

I have this and it is very good, interesting but I am not sure how much use it is for actually learning chinese but excellent for finding out what something is called in chinese.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Duden-Pictorial-Chinese-English-Dictionary/dp/0195827864

Hello once again, Shelley.

Thanks for the link about Oxford Duden pictorial Dictionay.

About pronunciation drills, dialogues, sentence-building exercises, pattern drills, substitution tables, games and other learning aids, memorization exercises, and a combined glossary-index I saw the book""""Beginning Chinese, 2nd Revised Edition (English and Mandarin Chinese Edition) (Mandarin Chinese) 2nd Revised Edition""" , look inside, at >>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300020589/?tag=yaleunivpres-20 

I think it is good for training oral/writting exercises.

Thanks very much again.

Newton Schittini

Hello once again, Shelley and TheBigZaboon .

Thanks for the link about Oxford Duden pictorial Dictionay.

About pronunciation drills, dialogues, sentence-building exercises, pattern drills, substitution tables, games and other learning aids, memorization exercises, and a combined glossary-index I saw the book""""Beginning Chinese, 2nd Revised Edition (English and Mandarin Chinese Edition) (Mandarin Chinese) 2nd Revised Edition""" , look inside, at >>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300020589/?tag=yaleunivpres-20 

I think it is good for training oral/writting exercises.

Thanks very much again.

Newton Schittini

Ah yes the Defrancis series, this is a very good set of textbooks and come in beginner, intermediate and advanced. There are three books at each level, Beginning Chinese, Beginning Chinese Reader, and Character Text for beginning Chinese. the same for each level, there is audio too, if you search the forum for Defrancis you should get a lot of info.

They are popular but especially with people learning traditional chinese as they are all in traditional. There are a few bonus lessons in Simplified but its aimed at traditional  and quite old now, first edition 1963 and second 1976.

Good morning, Shelley  ... Do you know know a book that teaches Mandarin / Chinese, which contains basic phrases in simplified Chinese / Pynin / English translation, step by step (practical everyday situations), graded from elementary to advanced with simple illustrations / drawings, such as examples in the annexes, like “ FUN WITH CHINESE CHARACTERS “ or “ FATHER and SON LEARN ENGLISH LEARN CHINESE “ ... Very grateful to all ... of Newton, from BRAZIL

1 fun .JPG

2A FATHER and SON LEARN ENGLISH LEARN CHINESE.JPG

Fórum forun e-mail email ilustrado.pdf