Chinese-Forums

Has anyone found a way to make doujiang outside China?

Friday

I'd like to eat Chinese-style doujiang, but no longer live in China.I had some that came in a powder, a bit like a cocoa pouch, that was quite good, but that is a pricey way to buy ($1 per drink) from the importer. There are machines that make doujiang, but I found also other countries have varieties of doujiang and I don't want to end up with a machine producing Japanese or Korean-style. Reviewers on Amazon don't tend to specify the type, they might not even know what Chinese-style doujiang tastes like, as they might expect some other national variety. Has anyone found a machine or method for producing doujiang that matches the kinds found in Chinese restaurants?

On 1/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, Friday said:

There are machines that make doujiang, but I found also other countries have varieties of doujiang and I don't want to end up with a machine producing Japanese or Korean-style.

Does that really matter? I've found variations in the taste and consistency of Doujiang in different parts of China. Wouldn't be surprised if there are also differences between one shop and another, one brand and another. 

These machines were common on the "small kitchen appliance" shelves of supermarkets in Kunming. I never owned one. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I too love doujiang and I can second most of what's been said above - doujiang in China differs from shop to shop and region to region. I most frequently had the Family Mart one as it was on my way to class - I'm pretty sure now that that was just made from powder, and you can get pretty decent instant doujiang powder in most Chinese supermarkets. The best doujiang I ever had was from an ayi's tiny doujiang stall in Anshan, Liaoning, and she just used soaked, cooked beans and a normal kitchen blender (the jug type, not a hand blender). I think the main thing would be to get the water/soy bean ratio right (plus sugar if you're so inclined) and have a fairly powerful blender.

You don't need those doujiang makers as they don't do anything a normal blender can't do, except that some of them will give you the option of just putting in raw beans and water and cooking the beans for you, but that will never give you proper doujiang. It's just a very watery version with lots of dousha because you'll have skipped the soaking process.

So, my current verdict is: there's no easy way (you can't skip the pre-soaking and pre-cooking process) but at least it's super cheap!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

We.soak yellow beans and then use normal blender to make the doujiang.  If your blender does not have filter, you may use filter bags (bags for boiling fish soup) to filter away the bean bits.  Then you boil the doujiang in a pot.

Filter bags can be like below:

https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/zh/main/建成行有限公司/s/H7545001/超級巿場/超級市場/湯-熟食-醃製食品/中式湯/煲魚湯隔渣袋-x-12/p/H7545001_S_cook007

• Like 2

We have this machine from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/CTS-2038-Easy-Clean-Automatic-Stainless-Capacity/dp/B00CU774R8/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=joyoung&qid=1611489630&sr=8-5

It makes chinese style doujiang.

But it is fairly expensive.

• Like 1

Folks, the OP says he wants 豆浆 "that matches the kinds found in Chinese restaurants."

Now how many Chinese restaurants do you think make 豆浆 from scratch these days: soak the beans, grind them, sieve the liquid then steep it for half an hour?

I'd well guess your average 餐厅 is using a prepared mix of some sort. Most above-average ones, too.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/dfpd/jingji/2011-07/29/content_13006810.htm