Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

alantin

Choosing a Chinese name based on the Apostle Peter

alantin

I don't want to hijack the thread but I've been thinking about a Chinese name too and my first name is derived from the name Peter. I haven't done the kind of research the OP has, but the original meaning is based on "stone" so I asked one native speaker if 岩 would be weird and she didn't think so. My last name is actually 中村 so would 中村岩 sound or look weird for Chinese people? Other than that anyone will immediately notice that the last name is Japanese. Oh, and I'm a man too.

• Good question! 1

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Lu

I gave you a fresh thread! 岩 is a pretty normal Chinese given name for men (although googling it I see it also works for women).

中村 does immediately peg you as Japanese. Some Chinese people have rather strong and negative views of Japanese people, though generally you should be completely fine. And if you already have a perfectly good surname in characters, it would also be strange to pick a different one.

I assume your parents are also Japanese, in which case you could consider asking them if they had a Japanese given name in characters in mind for you. That would in all likelihood make your full name even more Japanese, but it would be something that has a strong connection to your actual identity, which can be nice.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

alantin

Thank you Lu for your reply!

My surname is actually by marriage, so I am and look European and no one in their right mind would ever mistake me for an Asian unless they were completely blind.

I guess I'm quite rare with this name so it is a good conversation starter and I haven't gotten any negative comments from Chinese people even though in the beginning of my studies, and my first trip to China, I avoided the subject at first. I am aware of the tensions.

Like you said, since I do already have characters for my surname, it would feel strange to pick different ones. If 岩 is a normal given name in China, in addition to being a direct translation of my real name, then I think it's perfect!

Although, the tutor I asked the first time, also told me that once they hear my surname, Chinese people might just call me that and drop 岩. 😆

Lu
10 hours ago, alantin said:

My surname is actually by marriage, so I am and look European and no one in their right mind would ever mistake me for an Asian unless they were completely blind.

In that case, make sure you check with your partner whether the name you end up choosing also works in Japanese, or at least doesn't mean anything odd there.

• Like 1

FlyingSesame

岩 is more commonly used for men’s name. 砾 (Li) can also means stone so could be considered. And it is less commonly used in names so I guess you won’t run into the problem of sharing the same name with others, if this is of any concern to you 🙂

alantin

Thank you for the suggestion @FlyingSesame

English Definition: gravel; small stone

I may still go with 岩.. :D