Chinese-Forums

How do you pronounce 还给 and 揭露?

Jan Finster

The first as a word is going to be huángěi, but those characters in a sentence (he gave me a kiss, and also a dollar) could end up being hái gěi。 

The second, 揭露, properly jiēlù, although I'm pretty sure you'll hear lòu quite a bit, as that pronunciation is actually more common?

• Helpful 3

This question (and its responses this far)--leads me to wonder: When the character 露 is used in a compound word that has some idea of "exposing" or "revealing," can it always be pronounced as either "lu" or "lou" interchangeably? I feel like I trip over it a lot, especially when I'm practicing Pleco flashcards. I pronounce it as "lou," but sometimes the only listing Pleco has for that word is "lu."

31 minutes ago, Jan Finster said:

连续 曝出: I find pù chū and bào chū ?

Bear in mind that a lot of characters differ in reading not only due to colloquial reading or not, but also in Mainland vs Taiwan usage. As for 曝: bao4 on the mainland, pu4 in Taiwan.

2 hours ago, 889 said:

"Wait what's the colloquial pronunciation of 塑料?"

It's suoliao, as in suoliao daizi

I've never heard it said like that. In what part of China is it common? 

@889 Beijing locals often speak 儿化音, so when they say 塑料, it sounds not clear like how clearly a CCTV news anchor pronounces. But to my ear, usually it's sù.

I just found some videos, and you can try them.

1. this man has a very heavy Beijing accent.

传统塑料袋告别历史舞台?北京环保塑料袋诞生

2. you can hear how a BTV(北京卫视) news anchor say 塑料

[北京您早]记者调查:塑料制品是否有保质期

3. A Hunan province girl. You just need to try the first 26 seconds

湖南的塑料普通话真的有毒!太魔性了!

By the way, if anyone wants to dive into Chinese dialects, maybe you can try 中国语言资源有声数据库调查手册·汉语方言.

• Like 1

You need to distinguish 北京话 and speaking 普通话 with a 北京口音。

To be honest, these deep dives into exactly how X is said across the country aren't particularly useful, to my mind. There are enough regional languages and accents and terms that you could probably do a complete thesis on any of them. Stick to whatever your textbook or teacher or dictionary is telling you, and change if you see consistent divergence across a range of speakers.

14 minutes ago, EnergyReaper said:

Beijing locals often speak 儿化音, so when they say 塑料, it sounds not clear like how clearly a CCTV news anchor pronounces.

塑 + 儿 = suo? 你这都哪儿跟哪儿啊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roddy said:

塑 + 儿 = suo? 你这都哪儿跟哪儿啊

是我的表达造成了误解,我想说的是北京人那些不用儿化音的字说起来也有儿化音那种感觉,有点含糊,不像新闻主播的吐字那么清晰。我的同事接到北京的销售打来的电话,经常说听不懂。我在北京上学的时候听我那些北京同学的发音感觉还好一点,但是公交车上那些卖票员的口音听起来超级费劲,所以我每次得盯住公交车里面的站点路线图,免得下错站了。

Kunming local news broadcasts often have references to the large fields of plastic quonset huts to the south of the city, especially down towards Yuxi 玉溪。This meant I heard the term over and over. I don't have any recordings, but it seems like these 塑料大棚 were pronounced in the usual way as su4. I also remember the big campaign several years ago for stores to stop giving away free plastic bags in an effort to help clean up the environment. I was just listening casually, not paying any particular attention to the precise way the word was pronounced, but it ingrained itself in my ear as 塑料袋子, again with a fourth-tone su4. 

Seems it is pronounced differently in other parts of China, at least some of the time. Not really surprising. I don't doubt it for a minute. I could probably think of similar words in American English that are said differently in New Orleans or Chicago. 

When speaking Chinese to someone on the phone (when I lived in Kunming) there would often be a pause in the conversation after a minute or two. The other person would say, "Oh, I get it. You're a foreigner. I couldn't place your accent at first, but I knew you were not a Kunming native." I would "confess" to being a 外国人。Then the conversation would resume.