Chinese-Forums

Feng shui lucky numbers

Zeppa

I posted a photo of a Chinatown restaurant on Instagram. It had several copies of the notice "Take-away available"  - three in one window and three in the other. I thought it was funny. I've now been told that 3 and 3 is a very lucky number in feng shui. Would this really be the reason?

take_away.jpg

Many thanks for the helpful replies. More would be welcome!

I did go to a physiotherapy place in Germany once with lots of candles and dim lighting and text in Chinese characters framed on the wall, but upside down.

I couldn't really ask until late in the evening when I got this comment on Instagram. I'm not even supposed to be in Chinatown in lockdown.

They are code. If three post-it "Take Away" notes are displayed in the shop window, the Secret Agent should proceed with making today's document microfilm dead drop. If only two or one appear, it means wait. Zero, you are blown.

So the answer to my question is, as I suspected, that this has got nothing to do with lucky numbers at all? It's just that I was told so authoritatively yet didn't believe it.

I understand this is amusing you all, but it doesn't answer the question in a direct way.

5 hours ago, 889 said:

Pray you never come across four white Post-Its.

I know about the four, but not the white. What does 889 signify?

On 3/13/2021 at 8:31 AM, Zeppa said:

I've now been told that 3 and 3 is a very lucky number in feng shui. Would this really be the reason?

I think the person who told you that was pulling your leg. 

Does Feng Shui even deal with numbers?  (As opposed to "Geomancy" or the arrangement of space.)

Isn't numbers the remit of numerology?  Although in Chinese culture numerologists also seem to deal in names?

Picture from a door in Singapore.

numerology.png

I think that must be right about numerology. However, it appears to be common to refer to "feng shui numbers" (so Google tells me).

I don't think she was pulling my leg, because she has peculiar ideas in other connections. but I will take her up on it.

• Like 1