Chinese-Forums

most embarrassing moment while learning Chinese

wix

-你没吃完?

-我吃完了。

-这个呢?(points at the shrimps I had left on the plate)

-我不要杀。

-虾!!!

-杀!

-虾!!!

-我不要杀生。

• Like 1

I learned chinese while living in Shanghai. On my first trip to Yuyuan Gardens, I was browsing in a store when I saw a screwdriver set that I had to have.. The cashier in perfect shanghainese said 四块钱。Pretty cheap huh, I take out a 5 Yuan note, hand it to her and start heading to the exit. I manage to get to the door before a guy stops me and starts jabbering something. I'm pretty sure I paid so I mime that I took money from my wallet and gave the cashier. The cashier kept on saying 四块,四块, and I'm saying yes, yes 四块。 “不不不不, 四块”,“对四块”。 We kept at it for 5 minutes until she mimes out her 10 fingers to show she meant 十块,at which point I pay the remainder. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This one stands out:

Early attempt at speaking to a friend's grandmother:

Friend: "...ask her "你有几个猫?“"

My attempt to grandma: "你有几个猫?"

Grandma heard: "你有鸡巴吗?“

Laughs and corrections follow..

You sure she didn't mishear it as “你有鸡巴”? :P

Edit: on that note, I always worry that people will misunderstand me when suggesting what to order if I suggest something like 三杯鸡...

“再点一个三杯鸡吧……”

(三杯鸡巴)

• 1 month later...

Might not qualify as embarrassing as it went unnoticed except by me, but I was talking this morning to a Chinese guy. "Call me John," he said. "It's not my actual name, but that's too hard for people here to say."

We'll see about that, I thought. I asked him his 'actual name' and repeated it back to him as best I was able...

"Yeah... you guys just don't have the consonants..."

Ouch.  Names are always pot-luck for me, if you get an easy one you're set, something you've never heard of before and it might get a bit uncomfortable.

One of my most embarrassing times was when I was having lunch in a small restaurant and this girl I liked walked in and started chatting to me, and then, out of nowhere, asks me:

"吃晚饭去哪里?"

I was pretty surprised (and excited) she was asking me out for dinner,  until, after much confusion, I realised she was asking:

"吃完饭去哪里?"

Damn.

(Me: "回家")

• Like 2

Was chatting with a friend on QQ when I started to feel "homesick". I told her how I miss China. I then continued and said the phrase 我想你. She sent a blushing emoticon and then continued to say how boys don't usually say that to girls in Chinese unless they like them. :oops

• 4 weeks later...

Just registered here, so I guess I'll share.

The moment that haunts me still was after I had just done a very athletic performance and was sweaty and exhausted. Someone asked me how I felt, and I meant to say something like 喘不过气 (I'm out of breath), but instead it came out more like 快要断气了(I am going to die soon). The worst part--this was during an interview for a local tv station (long story). My friend insisted that it was hilarious, but I was (and remain, many years later) totally mortified with embarrassment because of this.

• New Members

I learned Japanese before I learned Chinese. So my most embarrassing would be mixing up Japanese and Chinese

-Wo Jiao Lindsey Desu

-Saying 'Hai" instead of 'Shi' for affirmation

-saying 'sou desu' to show I understood something.

-saying 'nani' instead of 'shenme'

• 3 weeks later...

My most embarassing moment while learning Chinese - tones matter.

I was speaking to a Chinese colleague (who, fortunately, was a woman and I'm a man). I was trying to say "如果握有一个问题,我可以问你。"  (If I have a question, I can ask you.), but I accidentally misprounounced 问 wen1 and said 吻 - wen3 - to kiss.

Fortunately, she had a sense of humour and after laughing she told me what I did. Since then she and I became very good friends.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • New Members

Once I was speaking with a Taiwanese friend and she mentioned she wanted an American 口音. So, I tried to imitate her sentence and say that I wanted to have a Taiwanese accent, but I accidentally used the wrong tone and said that I wanted to have Taiwanese 口淫...

Fortunately, we had known each other a bit before that, so she understood the mistake and we laughed it off.