Chinese-Forums

Hello, new here. I am stuck at hsk 4... What did you all do to get better? Apps?

china-euro

I think Amy is on the right path! You have to just follow what is really driving your interests in Chinese and pursue that. Is it novels and the literature/history? Focus on reading more in depth and start trying to break into native materials. Is it socializing, meeting new people, traveling? Focus on finding a language partner(s) and have at it. 

I just like the convenience of apps...nobody else here use apps for chinese? I understand most of chinese entertainment shows and news, but could never repeat what i just watched... just want to get there.

so yes. ill get some chinese friends to practice on
but give me some app tipps in this pandemic!

used:
chinese skill
hanping
debo chinese
pleco
anki
hsk magic
mondly?

hi @china-euro welcome to the forums.  Please avoid asking the same question in more than one post.

The search box at top-left of the window will help you to find the many places where people have already asked about what software they use, and obviously that changes very quickly, so it's best to choose the option to give search results by "newest results first".

I think @艾墨本 had a good thread going at one point, maybe you can find it.

23 hours ago, amytheorangutan said:

I personally think apps and textbooks start to get redundant around this level because you want to be exposed to as much native materials (or close to) as possible as there are so many words, phrases and sentence patterns that are not covered by HSK but used so much in everyday lives. 

I think this is definitely a key point at this level (4 into 5). 

Actually in the HSK 5 Standard Course textbook it makes a major shift towards longer, native material (adapted at times) from newspaper articles etc and the grammar changes noticeably because of this, and Chengyu start popping up everywhere. If I'd stopped at HSK 4 and started trying to read only native material I think I would've failed and this would have been very discouraging for me. 

I also have a copy of To Live by Yu Hua sitting on my coffee table here, making me feel guilty that I've been too scared to dive in, in case it turns out to be too difficult... @amytheorangutan what has been your approach to this?  Did you pre-learn any vocabulary first or just start reading?

• Like 1

@mungouk I just dove into it. First few pages I looked up quite a lot of words but I stuck to it and I think by page 20 ish I got more comfortable as there are quite a bit of repetitions of the words I didn’t know. I think once you get past the first maybe 20-30 pages, the novel gets a lot easier to comprehend. I’d say go for it, I think it’s 195 pages and I’m up to page 123 at the moment and I read a lot faster towards the end. The story is engaging enough so I don’t feel bored. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, china-euro said:

I understand most of chinese entertainment shows and news, but could never repeat what i just watched... just want to get there.

Does the viki app suit your needs?