Chinese-Forums

Want to know which name is better

catbox

• New Members

I need help on naming my Chinese character.

So far I have three names 李玉金, 李金航 or 李金文 and I want to know which of the three sounds better.

(If none of them sound good could you suggest what his last character should be.

金 needs to be the middle character.)

Well, in your first option you've got 金 at the end, so that's not right by the standard you've set. Would be useful if you could say what sort of character in what sort of context, work of fiction or computer game? Better is of course subjective but if you want something fitting a period or type of person it would help to know what that is.

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

It really depends on what kind of personality or role your character has. Out of the options you've given, I think 李金航 Lǐ Jīnháng sounds best as all together it makes your character sound very ambitious and full of purpose. This could be the name of either an optimistic man who's trying to make his way in the world, or someone morally ambiguous and will do anything to get to the top.

A similar option is 李金栋 Lǐ Jīndòng. The original meaning of 栋 refers to the east-west crossbar at the highest point in the middle of the house, which can be extended to mean the person or thing that bears heavy responsibilities. Used in names, it refers to strength, tenacity, and ability to take on great responsibilities. This name sounds like it belongs to a very mature, hardworking and protective man, more likely to be a main protagonist.

An alternative could be 李金泓 Lǐ Jīnhóng, which gives the impression that your character is very broad-minded, wise, and honest in his communication. If your character is more of a quiet, stoic character and plays more of a mentor role in your story, this could be a good option.

• Like 2