Chinese-Forums

The end of Hanban and what next for Confucius Institutes

mungouk

Given that chinesetest.cn already lists exam schedules of the current HSK/HSKK  for all of 2021 up to December, it does seem likely that there would be no changes to exam arrangements until 2022 at the earliest.

My understanding is for all extents and purposes , it is just a name change and won't alter how the front end of the CI works!

Here's hoping the CI's stay in the UK for a long time! I feel they only get bad PR in a handful of countries. Predominantly from a global perspective they are welcomed!

• Like 1

I've had a few replies from the UK Confucius Institutes I emailed, and to summarise:

• Yes, Hanban is gone and CIEF/CLEC is now managing the centres
  • CLEC will be "less involved [than Hanban was] with individual CI affairs, with many of the strategic and operational decisions left to the institutional level between the host and Chinese partner institutions."
  • None of the UK CIs are expecting to close (unlike the situation in the US for example)

Perhaps most significantly:

• None of the 5 who replied currently know anything about the format or organisation of the new HSK 3.0 exams (and the guy from Lancaster quoted above didn't even know that was happening). 
  • One of them said "We are still waiting for further notification from the central testing centre as to how the new testing is going to play out."

• Like 3

I was recently in touch with a Dutch CI, which I was worried was closing, but they assured me that they are not, that their partnership with the university will continue as planned and that the project I was going to do for them will take place. I am not 100% reassured, but it looks like the Hanban changes at least don't affect this CI.

• Like 1