Chinese-Forums

Nihao! I was asked to be an English teacher...

syu.edu

Hello,

as you know, i am currently studying chinese at zhongshan da xue in guangzhou. and some days ago i recieved a letter about seeking english natives for teaching english to children. my native language is german. anyway, i contacted them and they want me to teach english. they would pay me 120 Yuan per hour. now i have some questions:

first one is, will it be bad if i am not a native speaker? i mean, they obviously dont care about that, but i do. i dont want to teach the children wrong english.

secondly, how is teaching? i mean, i was never a teacher before and would need some help to get started. is there some information?

thirdly... i am a student with an X visa. can i change that to a visa so i will be able to teach legally? i know some students teach english illegally, but i would like to be on the safe side (i already violated chinese laws by letting my visa expire)...

will it be bad if i am not a native speaker? i mean, they obviously dont care about that, but i do. i dont want to teach the children wrong english.

They will be after your speaking skills. Grammar etc will be taught by the local Chinese teachers. The only real issue is how you pronounce you words and if you have a really strong accent.

how is teaching? i mean, i was never a teacher before and would need some help to get started. is there some information?

Relatively easy. Ask the school if they have any texts that they would prefer for you to use. They may also be able to give you some basic assistance in how to run your classes.

Set some ground rules like....all books removed from their desks during your classes (stops them playing games or doing other work), only English to be spoken in your classes and any howework must be done etc. Punish any offenders as if you let one get away with something, you have set the goal posts for the rest of the class.

Also, our website has other basic information on classes and teaching.

i am a student with an X visa. can i change that to a visa so i will be able to teach legally? i know some students teach english illegally, but i would like to be on the safe side (i already violated chinese laws by letting my visa expire

Discuss this with the school that has asked you to be a teacher. I possibly would not be overly concerned unless you plan to give up your studies and only teach. Many foreign students teach on the side.

It is more important if you decide to stay on and teach after you finish your studies. Then you should ensure that your visa is in order. Also, if you plan to do this, go on a contract as the school will then also have to provide fully furnished accommodation and reimbursement of airfares, holiday bonus etc.