Chinese-Forums

Transferring jobs - Residence permit/non criminal record check confusion!

Ciara

I’m changing jobs and province in the summer. My residence permit expires in Jan 2022. 

First, can I keep the residence permit after the work permit has been cancelled? (Provided my employer does not cancel it). In other words, I know my employer needs to cancel my work permit in order for me to transfer and get a new work permit, but do they have to cancel the residence permit too?

The new employer says that if the residence permit is valid, I will not have to apply for a new criminal record check from my country. However, my partner (Who now works in a different job, but is moving with me to the same new job) is being told he does have to get a new one. His residence permit expires around the same time he leaves his job (August), so a few months before mine.  

He asked if they could extend it, so that he would not have to apply for a new non criminal cert, but his employer (different to mine) said that they cannot do this, it’s illegal, and can only issue him a stay visa.

I am wondering why it seems different for us, as we are in the same city. So I don’t need a new criminal check and he does -it because my residence permit has more months validity? Why can’t his employer just extend his residence permit so he wouldn’t need to get a new police check? Getting a new non criminal record and authenticated is a bit of a pain to say the least, but he will do it if he has to. I just seems a bit inconsistent. I guess this is China...

Sorry if this seems confusing! HR are not being clear so I thought I might have more luck here!

Thanks!