Chinese-Forums

transferring money to Chinese Alipay account from US

大块头

I'm trying to pay a calligrapher I've hired... but I think I'm running up against Trump's ban of Chinese payment apps from a few months ago?

I've successfully set up an Alipay account with my US phone number, but I am unable to use my Visa check or debit cards to transfer money (转账) to his account. I tried using the Tour Pass mentioned here, but it didn't allow me to use that for the 转账 transaction either. I tried using Western Union, but that gave me a cryptic "compliance catch-all" error...

If anybody has managed to do this recently I'd appreciate hearing how you did it. The other payment option I have is his ICBC bank account.

No experience myself re. this - would you be able to use something like wise.com (formerly transferwise) instead?

From their FAQ:

Who can I send CNY to?

You can send CNY to private individuals who have a UnionPay bank card or an Alipay ID. They must have opened their bank account with a Chinese national ID card — we can’t send CNY to accounts opened with a passport, driver’s licence or military document.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2955298?origin=search-china

Again, haven't tried this myself, but could be an option. Good luck!

• Like 3

I also haven't used Wise for transfers into China, but I have done transfers between the UK, Singapore and New Zealand regularly and it's a very good service. Much much cheaper than SWIFT/Telegraphic Transfers. 

• Like 1