Chinese-Forums

Stroke order of 右 in Taiwan (and other TC Chinese areas)

Dlezcano

Recently I discovered that Japanese stroke order of 右 is 丿first and then 一 while 左 is the same everywhere. After doing some research I found out that the principle is based on the position of the hand in the oracle bone script and that in fact that was also the right way of writing the character in China for centuries. So my question is: is that stroke order also common in Taiwan where they use a more traditional way of writing? As far as I know it is still used in calligraphy even in Mainland China.

• Good question! 1

No, the stroke order in Taiwan I believe is horizontal first then vertical, just like mainland China.

The Chinese stroke order is the 楷書 stroke order, and the Japanese stroke order is the 行書 stroke order. If your handwriting is remotely cursive at all, probably you want to write it vertical first like the Japanese stroke order, even when writing Chinese. If your handwriting is not cursive, either way is fine.

In general the Taiwan stroke order is very strange in my opinion, and it does not reflect "the right way of writing the character in China for centuries". Closest to that is probably the Japanese stroke order, but the Japanese stroke order still has some eccentricities, namely 臼 (in Japanese official stroke order, the middle horizontals are written one after another, which looks ugly if remotely cursive). My only guess/explanation as for why this is so, is because the component 臼 is practically never used in modern Japanese period (it is almost always replaced with 旧).

• Helpful 1