Chinese-Forums

Help with Chinese name

Ruika

I have studied Chinese for 10+ years now. And I hope to travel to China maybe next year. So it would be nice to have a Chinese name by then.

Do you think that 瑞咔 would be a good name? I like it because it sounds a lot like my real name.

Thanks in advance! Hope you can help.

You can always go for a direct transliteration, but since you've been studying Chinese for so long, maybe you also want to consider coming up with a "real" name instead?  I think it's largely personal preference, but for me I would much prefer to give myself a more "real" name than just a transliteration of the sounds of my English name.

Thanks for your feedback!

I think I prefer a transliteration of my Western name.

I like the first character 瑞 (auspicious) because I am from 瑞典 (Sweden).

However, I am a bit unsure about the second character. Is there a better choice of character?

ka1 咖?
ke1 科?

I've never seen 咔 or 咖 in a Chinese name, and it doesn't seem like a good choice. Perhaps consider 可 instead. Also, wait for the opinion of a native speaker (which I am not). If you've studied Chinese for over ten years, perhaps you can ask one of your teachers for help?

Thanks for your answer! Yes, it would be perfect if a native speaker reads this and could give some advice.

My Swedish name means something like "mighty/rich" + "hard/firm". Maybe it would be better to try to translate that into Chinese?

Are you male or female? If female, some form of jia might be fitting in a name, like 佳 or 嘉 . These characters are often used to transliterate the "ka" sound (I think).

Note: I am not a native speaker.

I asked a native speaker and they said the following:

On 5/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, Ruika said:

瑞咔

This isn't a good name

On 5/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, Lu said:

I've never seen 咔 or 咖 in a Chinese name, and it doesn't seem like a good choice. Perhaps consider 可 instead.

Exactly.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:52 PM, Ruika said:

伟坚

This sounds bad

On 5/18/2021 at 4:56 AM, Takeshi said:

佳 or 嘉

These are great but 佳 is more suitable for girls. 嘉 could be a good character for your name. EDIT: I just noticed the first part of the sentence was "if you're a girl" so that makes sense.

瑞琪、瑞嘉、天瑞、瑞奇、瑞阳、瑞轩 are all good choices.

You may find it useful to know that when they were looking for inspiration they googled 瑞 男生名 and a good list came up as the top result.

• Helpful 1

On 5/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, Ruika said:

Now I have tried to translate my name into Chinese. I think 伟坚 will be a good name. The meaning is "great/big" + "strong/solid/firm".

I knew a Chinese person with almost exactly this name, just the characters flipped: 坚伟

@Ruika have you asked a native Chinese person about this? The general advice is to come up with a few options and then show them to at least two native speakers and ask how they like them and what kinds of associations they get from the name.

No, unfortunately I don't know any Chinese natives. But I have been googling a bit and found a few Chinese names that I like. So I will save those and travel to Asia next year, probably Taiwan, where I will hopefully find someone who can help me.

In that case I would recommend registering on iTalki for example, find a a couple of tutors and ask them about it. A new users gets three half an hour trial lessons too, which are extremely affordable.

• 1 month later...