Chinese-Forums

Need to get a sms verification code here in China

Pengyou

I have a bank in the US that I periodically need to transfer money from.  In order to do that, I need to receive a verification code on my mobile phone and type that into the bank's webpage.  The bank in the US will not accept a Chinese phone number - not enough digits.  Is there an app (android) that will forward sms messages to a Chinese phone number?  Google voice does not work with any number that is outside the US, in any country.

Thank you.  Skype?  "You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers."  I wasted about $20 learning this the hard way.  https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-receive-sms-text-messages-in-skype

Search on the App Store for "burner phone", you're gonna have a lot of options with US numbers. Some of them are completely free and some of them you'll have to pay $1 for each SMS message. If you need further instructions let me know.

The VOIP numbers you get from GV and other third-party virtual services are unreliable when it comes to receiving those confirmation codes. May work sometimes then stop. Plus, what do you do when your bank needs to speak with you?

You need a real US SIM. Look into Ultramobile's $3/month very basic SIM. But someone in the US will have to buy and activate it there for you.

• Like 1

I already have a US sim.  It is in the US in a phone.  Are you suggesting that I have the sim sent here and put it in a phone here?   and use the US phone number here?  I only need to use it a few times a month - never get phone calls or anything else with it.

You have to look carefully at the terms of that SIM. Normally you can activate international roaming without charge, paying only for calls and data actually used. Most importantly receiving SMS messages while roaming overseas is usually free. But you'll have to check your SIM plan. Check too whether you can use WIFI calling with both the SIM and your phone.

(I'm assuming you have a "live" SIM in the US which is costing you each month.)

7 hours ago, Pengyou said:

Thank you.  [...]  I wasted about $20 learning this the hard way. 

You're welcome. I hope the $20 of learning to read the small print before paying for anything was helpful.

Tello doesn't offer international roaming as such. You need to bootstrap through wifi.

"Unfortunately, we do not offer roaming services or national roaming at this time. However, while you are abroad you can call over WiFi using your account balance with our app, My Tello."

https://tello.com/help_center

If you're relying solely on the Tello app, you'd have to confirm the app can connect to Tello through the Great Firewall.

@889, where do you get the $3 a month plan?  I see that Walmart carries it...but for the ultra cheap seems you have to go to a T-mobile and buy it - no internet purchase.  I would like to get a phone number in the NE part of Nevada....does the phone number have to be activated in the area that it is registered in?