Chinese-Forums

Going to Shanghai

SGONEWRONG

Hi everyone, I recently got into FuDan's history program where I will be pursuing a master there. I will be going to ShangHai this summer and am wondering what are some good places to go. Likewise is there any sort of Shanghai expat wechat groups that I can join so that I can meet more people? I'm a hapa and I can speak pretty much fluent Chinese btw. Any tips would be helpful, thanks.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forums.

So you have already a student visa and have confirmed that you can start in Shanghai "this summer"? 

Lots of international students here have been wondering when they will be allowed back into China, so sharing details of your situation could be very helpful for others.

As for WeChat groups: Timeout Shanghai, ThatsShanghai, SmartShanghai and I Love Shanghai all cater for expats, although generally not students so much (ie. people with more money to spend).  Depending on what kind of people you want to meet, other subject-specific groups might be more useful.

btw I'm probably not the only one who never heard this term "hapa" before, maybe you could share what you specifically mean in your context?

• Like 2

Hey thanks for the questions I'll be answering some of the questions you have

I have relatives in China so I was able to get a Q2 visa to go to China for the summer, and then I will be able to transfer to a student VISA afterwards when FuDan process everything. So yeah I don't think my case applies to everyone. As for the Hapa thing, 889 explained it pretty clearly. My mom is from China and my dad's white, so I have relatives in China and that's why I can speak near fluent Chinese.

Sgonewrong- Are you in the US? I'm in a similar situation and wondering if they will give a q2 visa now. Also, do you have any vaccines? 

You can follow ThatsShanghai on wechat

They only give out Q visas for humanitarian reasons right now. Ie your direct relatives such as your parents got extremely sick. So yeah if you have relatives in China that are extremely sick or even close to dead then you can apply for it.