Chinese-Forums

Looking for a translation please!

Anon100

17 minutes ago, Anon100 said:

@TaxiAsh My meaning is more about going for your dreams, dream big etc 

Ah!!

There is probably an idiom for this, but my Chinese isn't good enough. 

The best I can do is look in my notebook for idioms

Is it for a tattoo?

If so, add more details to what you mean... I know aim for the moon, for dreams, means aim to be the best... 

if you can add more context the better. Because Chinese idioms are often thousands of years old stories compacted into 4 Chinese characters.

For a tattoo, you want a decent meaning, and story that matches what you want to write.

6 minutes ago, TaxiAsh said:

Is it for a tattoo?

Ah, I looked and remembered the other thread.

Yes, is tattoo!

Get it right, and it could be great. Better than superstars that got shit ones! haha

There are literally thousands of Chinese idioms that relate to specific things, just like in English. 

This is a famous one. 4 characters tell a whole story. In English we roughly translate this as 'every cloud has a silver lining', blessing in disguise, you never know, etc.

https://youtu.be/csC9mEZWMmU

I don't get why people assume that translating an idiom literally will have the same figurative meaning. I mean occasionally it works if the idiom is a calque or by sheer coincidence, but it's not that common with most language pairs.

There are plenty of ways to translate having high ambitions (志向远大、志在四方、雄心壮志 etc.) but none I can think of that would make a good tattoo. They're more like phrases you'd use to describe someone rather than exhortations to "dream big" or whatever.

The closest I can think of is 不忘初心 - "don't forget your original aspiration". Most recently popularized by Xi Jinping, make of that what you will.

• Helpful 1

48 minutes ago, Demonic_Duck said:

I don't get why people assume that translating an idiom literally will have the same figurative meaning

For someone not learning Chinese and simply looking for a tattoo, I just want to make sure they don't make a mistake and get something crap.

Personally, I wouldn't have any writing in any language tattood on me. 

1 hour ago, Anon100 said:

In this case, 瞄准月球 would still fit my original meaning of going for your dreams?

No. It would sound like you have a gun and are pointing it at the moon.

Why not get a tattoo in a nice font in English, or another language that you can read? That way, you can make sure yourself that there are no mistakes in the text and that the tattooist is doing a good job, and you can actually read the inspiring words that you want to remember.

Not heard that before, nice suggestion from them. Quite literary. According to 百度百科, it's a reference to a Tang dynasty poem.

揽:to pluck

九天:the highest point in the sky (literally "ninth heaven")

九天揽月:pluck the moon from the highest heavens

A lot of people consider traditional characters to be more aesthetically pleasing and/or "authentic", the traditional character version would be 九天攬月

• 2 months later...

@Demonic_Duck there is absolutely no need for you to be rude. If I decided to ask the question again, I am more than obliged to. 

I was given the suggestion by someone fluent in the language and that’s what they suggested and in fact said that ‘瞄准月球’ has no relation to “the moon” and “shooting the moon” as you have told me yourself. 

I’m not looking for the ‘Celestial scientific term’ because I’m not ‘shooting the moon’ and therefore I don’t see the harm in asking for a comparison. 

When it comes to “九天攬月”, I don’t see how ‘Nine days of the moon’ is a great comparison to what I’m trying to achieve?? Maybe I’m wrong. 

if you’re so bothered by the fact that I have asked for a DIFFERENT comparison, trying to educate myself when I could just be ignorant and believe what I want, don’t reply to the thread. It’s really that simple.