Chinese-Forums

Looking for a translation please!

Anon100

6 hours ago, Anon100 said:

there is absolutely no need for you to be rude

Sorry if I came across as rude, that wasn't my intention. Well maybe it was the intention of my worst instincts, but it was the intention of my best instincts to help you. So I apologize for my worst instincts.

I was given the suggestion by someone fluent in the language and that’s what they suggested and in fact said that ‘瞄准月球’ has no relation to “the moon” and “shooting the moon” as you have told me yourself. 

I don't quite understand what you're saying — it categorically does have a relation to the moon and aiming/shooting. See Google image searches for the terms 瞄准 and 月球:

When it comes to “九天攬月”, I don’t see how ‘Nine days of the moon’ is a great comparison to what I’m trying to achieve?? Maybe I’m wrong. 

Per my reply in the other thread:

On 5/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, Demonic_Duck said:

揽:to pluck

九天:the highest point in the sky (literally "ninth heaven")

九天揽月:pluck the moon from the highest heavens

九天 can mean nine days, but it can also mean the highest point in the sky (as it does here).

https://baike.baidu.com/item/九天/38836

九天,汉语词语,读音jiǔ tiān,意思是天的最高处,形容极高。传说古代天有九重。也作“九重天”、“九霄”。

Google translated:

Jiu Tian, a Chinese word, pronounced jiǔ tiān, which means the highest point of the sky, and it is extremely high. Legend has it that there are nine layers of heaven in ancient times. Also called "Nine Heavens" and "Nine Heavens".

As for 瞄准月, there are at least a few Google results using the phrase in a direct translation of "Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" ("如果你瞄准月亮,即使迷失也是落在星辰之间"). Not sure how understandable 瞄准月亮 would be on its own without context, though.

• Helpful 1

@Anon100 If you want a tattoo that says 'aim at the moon', nobody is stopping you. Just call a tattoo parlour right now and get an appointment, I'm sure most tattooists will be happy to ink it on you. But if you want someone here to tell you that 瞄准月亮 is a good translation for the meaning you want, that's unlikely to happen. Get any tattoo you want though, you don't need our blessing.

And I don't think Demonic Duck was rude at all. He gave a good answer to your question.

• Like 2