Chinese-Forums

What Popup translator to use now -- Spring 2021

abcdefg

Perapera was my standby popup dictionary plugin for many years, but they have stopped supporting that product and according to their website, plan to leave that part of the learning-Chinese market. 

The Perapera development team is no longer working on the Perapera Chinese or Japanese Popup Dictionary Plugins for Chrome and Firefox. Why? Well, to start, unfortunately the plugin project was never financially self-sustaining, and was costing a ton of money to keep updated. 

I have recently done a clean re-install of Windows 10 on my Dell laptop. Wondering what to use to get real-time mouse-over translations of unfamiliar Chinese words. Am using Opera browser (which is based on Chrome and uses most Chrome extensions.)  

Microsoft has something that will translate the whole page, but that's not what I'm after. I prefer to just be able to translate a word here or there. Lets my brain stay in "Chinese mode." 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

Opera user too, I have been using the "Zhongwen Chinese-English Popup Dictionary" and while I am sure there are plenty of better popup dictionaries out there, it has worked fine for me for a long time. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Shelley. I remember you and I both moaning over how Perapera stopped working with Firefox several years ago. 

I have just now installed Zhongwen and look forward to using it. One feature of which I was not aware was that it will store a list of words that you looked up. Very useful. Will let me review and learn words over which I frequently stumble. 

• Like 2

+1 for ZhongWen on Chrome. It has some useful features like:

• press 'g' to go to an explanation in Chinese Grammar Wiki (for certain words)
  • press alt + 1..7 to look up in one of 7 different online dictionaries 

• Like 1

btw an interesting tidbit for iOS/iPadOS users from this Monday's WWDC keynote talk... the mobile version of the Safari browser will support extensions when iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 come out in September. 

How that will work with "hovering" on a touch screen is another question, but it would be great to see mobile versions of things like ZhongWen.

• Like 1