Chinese-Forums

Just finished a semester of 清华大学's IUP Program - my review

jiaojiao87

They preferred using something called "Voov" - I hadn't heard of it before, but seems like some Chinese meeting software.  It was fine, but primitive, no issues really.  They were flexible though, and could also use Zoom, Skype, or WeChat if I cared - with WeChat not being preferred because they can't share screen.

My only advice is have a good mic and/or headset, and be in a quiet environment.  People using crappy mics in meetings or classes creates frustration and makes the experience wear on you a lot more.  Plus, if they can't hear you clearly, they can't correct you.  I personally have a Blue Yeti mic, which is way overboard, but I use it for recording music + doing shadowing, so was worth it for me.  A simple, reasonable mic is sufficient.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 3:48 AM, jiaojiao87 said:

I had always mentally toyed around with the idea of taking a "sabbatical" for a year and studying in China for a few months...although never in a serious way.

Last December, I randomly decided to see if I could take advantage of the fact that covid was making a lot of Universities and programs rethink about having remote offerings, and found Tsinghua University's IUP program.  I attended class from January through the end of May

So, did you end up taking a "sabbatical" (voluntarily or due to COVID) or did you squeeze in the program in your spare time and continued working? The latter would sound complicated (scheduling) and exhausting.

• Good question! 3

10 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

So, did you end up taking a "sabbatical" (voluntarily or due to COVID) or did you squeeze in the program in your spare time and continued working? The latter would sound complicated (scheduling) and exhausting

No sabbatical, haha.  I got off work at 5, and had class until 7.  I then took a break for dinner and to relax a bit, and did homework from 9 to 11ish.

Yeah, sounds pretty ridiculous when I type it out, but since I enjoy studying and attending classes it wasn't that bad...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1