Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

translation pinyin to English

whatisalot

• Members

Could someone help me to translate this sentence from pinyin to English? This is where I am at right now:

zhe ge nan hai zi jing chang xi zao, zhi shao mei ge xing qi er shi ci. = this [cl.] boy regularly to bathe, at least every [cl.] Tuesday “shi ci”.

I can't figure out what the "shi ci" means. There is an upstroke over the "shi" and a downstroke over the "ci"

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

十次 'ten times'. But I think you're reading it slightly wrong, I read it not as 'meige xingqi'er / shi ci' but as 'meige xingqi / ershi ci', twenty times a week. (Still a pretty large number.)

For typing pinyin with tone marks, you can download Pinyinput, more info here.

• Like 1
  • Members

Ok thanks. I thought the translation as "10" must be wrong because it is unrealistic to be a true statement. Sometimes the Rosetta Stone program I got this sentence from seems to deviate from standard tone marks. For example "yi" representing 1 or one, will often be represented with an up or down tone mark rather than the flat tone mark. 

Demonic_Duck

It's really difficult to read Pinyin in that format, with spaces between each syllable and no tone marks. Usually you'd write the sentence in Pinyin like this, with spaces between each word:

Zhège nánháizi jīngcháng xǐzǎo, zhìshǎo měi gè xīngqī èrshí cì.

That also makes the meaning clear — if it was 10 times every Tuesday, it'd be “měi gè xīngqī’èr shí cì”.

The difference can also be expressed in spoken Mandarin using different intonation, and in written characters using Arabic numerals: “每个星期 20 次” vs “每个星期二 10 次”.

• Helpful 2
On 6/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, whatisalot said:

Could someone help me to translate this sentence from pinyin to English? This is where I am at right now:

Try to get through that phase as fast as you can. 

Many years ago, just starting out, I wrote a note to the mother of a friend in Harbin thanking her for a weekend in which she had been very hospitable and kind. I spent hours wrestling my thoughts into perfect Pinyin, complete with tone marks. 

It took her forever to comment. When I pressed, she said "I had to get my 7-year old child to translate it for me. He's in elementary school. Nobody else here can read Pinyin." That was an eye-opener and it was the point at which I decided I had to immediately begin struggling with Hanzi characters. Did it and never looked back. 

Never loose sight of Pinyin as mainly being a temporary crutch. It is the training wheels for your kiddie bike. 

• Like 3
NanJingDongLu
4 hours ago, abcdefg said:

Never loose sight of Pinyin as mainly being a temporary crutch

Let's remember that for many learners, the idea of learning Hanzi from the start can be so overwhelming it will turn you off from learning Chinese at all. Hanzi > Pinyin, but Pinyin > not learning because you're intimidated.

• Like 1
  • Members

thanks for the responses.  I haven't figured out how to add the tone marks yet but I have another question:

"zai" for indicating an action in progress, as in the following: zhe ge nu hai zi zai pao bu = this [classifier] female child running or this [classifier] female child is running ?

I would translate it as 'The girl is running'.

Zhège nǚháizi literally means 'this girl', so in an exam or something I'd write that, but in regular text, 'the girl' usually looks more natural.

nǚháizi means 'girl', not 'female child' (that would be nǚxìng de háizi). Note that nu is not the same as nü.

You're correct that zài means that the action is ongoing. In English, this kind of grammatical construction is usually expressed with 'is ~ing'. This is a normal, grammatically correct Chinese sentence, so you should translate it into a normal, grammatically correct English sentence. If you want to translate word by word, linguistically, you need to look up how to express zài, I don't know that by heart (I'm not a linguist).

Download Pinyinput to write tones. You type the letters and then the number of the tone you want:

a1 -> ā

a2 -> á

a3 -> ǎ

a4 -> à

The ü in nü or lü is written by typing a v.

• Members
whatisalot

I downloaded Pinyinput and installed it. 

a1 -> a1

a2 -> a2

a3 -> a3

a4 -> a4

I'm confused about how to start using the program after it is installed.