Chinese-Forums

Document need to Update data for bank account in china after passport expired

Dinatayudha

• New Members

Hi, iam from indonesia, and before pandemic iam working in china, but now i stay in indonesia. I have bank account in china, and my passport expires next year. I still want  to use my bank account. Next year after the pandemic i planing to go to china to update data, do i need to apply business visa or tourist visa is enough. Thx

I'm also curious as to what will happen.

My assumption is: nothing will happen and your bank account will continue to work fine, but you will need to use your old passport as identification until you update your passport at the bank.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Depends on the bank I suppose, but I just took old and new passports. Note that your old passport number may continue to be linked to your account, with a notation somewhere about your new number. That's because some systems make the original ID number permanent and unchangeable.

You'll almost certainly have to go back to the same city where you opened the account to do this.

Don't forget you also have to update your SIM registration with your new passport number.

• 9 months later...
  • New Members

My experience. Your accounts, credit cards will be frozen after a grace period after passport expires. You will need to go in person to show them both new and old passport. My case is Icbc, cdb, but it seems very likely that all Chinese banks will do this. So, would be wise to take your money out if you do leave china for good, their advice.  I am also still hoping to see if there is anyway around this. Any ideas?

• Helpful 1