Chinese-Forums

a question about translation

Aishi

I have a simple question about "白鹿原" by 陈忠实.
I know that there is an English translation for this novel, but I didn't manage to find in on the Internet, only the original in Chinese.
There's a number of lines I don't understand in the part that I was tasked to translate.
1) 鹿子霖一上任乡约就施展出非凡的办事能力和组织才能。他用白鹿仓拨给他的十分有限的经费,在白鹿镇买下一院破落户的民房。房屋已经破败不堪,庭院里散发着一股酸滋滋臭烘烘的气味。他雇请来卫木匠,向所辖的十个村子摊派小工,把三间大厅和两间厢房全部翻修一新。
Here, I don't get 他雇请来卫木匠, precisely the 卫 part. Is it the carpenter's surname?..
Also, did I get it right: first, Lu Zilin hires a carpenter, then he sends unskilled laborers to the villages under his management, and after that renovates the buildings in his own mansion? I'm a bit confused as for why did he send laborers somewhere if he was rebuilding his mansion

摊派 according to my dictionary means 'to demand contributions', so he orders laborers from the villages he manages to work on his mansion.

I'm afraid I don't understand the 卫 either. It could be the carpenter's surname, if this is a carpenter the reader already knows and it's relevant that Lu Zilin asks this specific carpenter, but from context that doesn't seem the most likely explanation. I thought perhaps it was a typo for 位, but from googling a bit, it doesn't seem to be.

Also from what I find, I don't think there is an English translation of 白鹿原. Where did you find that there is?

I thought I saw it being sold on Amazon and the likes, but now I start to believe those are all Chinese editions. 

I tried ctrl-f-ing through chapters around this one for occurances of "卫木匠", but I didn't manage to find him elsewhere. Is it better to discard this character or to decide that it's his surname?

Thank you very much for 摊派, I was only looking at the familiar 派 part :)

• New Members

Actually there is a carpenter whose surname is 卫 in the first chapter. I don't know whether the whole 卫 family are carpenters, but I am sure that 卫老三 is a carpenter. He forces his third daughter to marry 白嘉轩.

• Helpful 1

I got my copy signed by Chen Zhongshi himself when he came to Beijing to do a talk years back! Carpenter Wei is a character, he's mentioned in this review: https://www.douban.com/group/topic/32002769/

Lu is right about the 摊派, as well as sharing round a work quota like this it's also used for having a whip-round when e.g. you decide to do up the shrine to the God of the Soil.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1