Chinese-Forums

Are the training center teachers stampeding for the exits? Or to find jobs at public schools? What's the situation like in your city regarding the abolition of the private training schools?

vellocet

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Previously I mentioned that my training center closing down - I don't think it was forced to by the government though. It's financial situation wasn't that great to begin with, and managers just decided to kind of give up on it instead of spending time and money attemptin to repackage it as drama classes with no guarantee it will work in the long term.

I'm now at a private kindergarten teaching English to 3 - 6 year olds. I was told that the government wants to limit the amount of private kindergartens because they charge too much etc - and that they already started doing this in Shenzhen, they bought out a few of the private kindergartens and made them public. In my city - Chengdu, they want the ratio for private to public to be around 20:80. 

If that happens, what does it mean for foreign teachers in Kindergartens? The new policy basically states public kindergartens aren't allowed to teach core subjects. Even if they did let some of them do a bit of English, would they still need foreign teachers? If some of them do want foreign teachers, the pay would probably be capped, doubt foreign teachers would be interested in working for like 8k a month in 2021.

It might be a while before this happens though, they're just prioritising training centers first. I was told if my private kindergarten can get through this year, my job situation would be relatively stable.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:34 AM, 黄有光 said:

I still can't wrap my head around this. It's crazy that the CCP just completely nuked the ESL industry.

Didn't they just nuke the game industry too?

And doing something to the entertainment industry too. Is it all part of some larger plan to affect the values of the society? Apparently someone doesn't like everything the developments of the last 30 years or so have brought with them.

• 2 weeks later...

40,000 jobs to go at New Oriental by the end of this year, "reportedly"

China’s Tutoring Sector Faces Massive Layoffs and Shakeups
The New Oriental education service is reportedly letting go 40,000 staff as the education clampdown affects businesses.

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1008589

On 9/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, Harv31 said:

The new policy basically states public kindergartens aren't allowed to teach core subjects.

Do kindergartens have "core subjects"? 

I thought the restrictions on teaching school syllabus outside of school only applies to primary (elementary) and secondary level, at least for now...?