Chinese-Forums

Where can I sell some of my unused study books

德国人

Hi,

over the years I have collected several books and courses I effectively never used. They are filling my book shelf and I would like to get rid of it without throwing them away. Is there a good way, besides amazon or the Great Bay?

I do for example have in unused but opened quality:

• Tuttle Chinese Flash Cards vol.1
  • Living Language Chinese Course (4 books+Audio in a folder)
  • Palgrave Macmillan master series - mastering chinese
  • Boya Chinese (Second Edition) Elementary I+II, Quasi-Intermediate I+II, intermediate I+II
  • Langenscheidt Schreibübungsbuch - Chinesisch

And some other books, which I have used for a short moment, to validate and decide it's not for me, so without notes or scribbles, e.g.

• Tuttle - Learning Chinese Characters HSK Level A
  • Heisig - Remembering Simplified Hanzi I+II

Any hint is appreciated.

ebay or amazon work best.

Pre-pandemic, I sold specialized books like these by posting a notice on the bulletin board of the relevant department of the local university.  I also sold a cache of specialized books by posting a notice on a local listserv and pricing them in one bunch.

• Helpful 1

In the UK, you can use We Buy Books or Music Magpie - there must be similar sites in the US. Chinese books are in demand, but these sites don't pay very well.

You use an app to scan the ISBN and are automatically offered a price. If you accept it, the books will be collected free of charge if you pack them up. I have found this useful to get rid of large numbers of fairly saleable books, but of course you may get more money selling the books individually.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I heard there are similar sites in Germany... could only remember momox just now, but I'm sure there are others. BUT it's honestly ridiculous pricing. Just entered a Spanish learning kit I had lying around and they'd pay a whopping 0.15 euros for a book and a couple CDs. So... I'd suggest you try your luck at universities. Maybe there's even an electronic bulletin board of sorts?

That's right, momox.de is the equivalent (I used to live in Germany). As I said, the prices are low. In the UK, I have found Chinese textbooks sell better than others. I have found these sites really useful for quickly getting rid of a huge pile of books. There's no harm in seeing what they would pay you, I agree with SunnySideUp that you'd probably be disappointed. I recall trying to get rid of books and was recommended a second-hand bookshop in Nuremberg - they would take nothing and were totally full of very old East German Marxist stuff that no one wanted to buy!

Yep @Zeppa, the good ones are called "Antiquariat" and there's the word "antique" inside, meaning offering (really) old books for selling. I'm wondering who on earth would be interested in old GDR-books. I mean, what kind of crazy business model would recommend to stack my rooms with that? Anyway, I do not know anything ?

• Like 1