Chinese-Forums

fapiao in English

Kenny同志

In English-speaking countries, what do you call this

Well, at the request of a new client, this morning I requested a copy of this type of fapiao from the local tax office. I'm just a little curious to know what it is called in English, or rather, whether you ever have such a thing.

There's no precise English equivalent of a legal Chinese fapiao.  Its primary purpose is to prove the tax has been paid on the item.  You can call it an invoice or a receipt, but both of those lack the legal standing of the fapiao.  An invoice is basically an IOU and a receipt is issued by the merchant, it is not a legally binding document.  I'd advise adopting the loan word fapiao locally.

• Helpful 1

In countries with a VAT, it's called a VAT receipt. Those from countries without a VAT, like the U.S., probably won't recognize the term.

Going with the more generic term tax receipt would probably be better. Could make it official tax receipt to make clear it's a special document.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1