Chinese-Forums

Horrible experience on LinkedIn

Kenny同志

I just wanted to share this. Since I'm on mobile, I'll keep it short.

On LinkedIn, I made a post on WeChat saying that the app had updated its privacy policy recently and people should carefully read it before deciding whether they want to continue to use it or not.

A person masquerading as a German commented under the post asking what exactly I was talking about--I've no idea whether this person is a man or woman but let’s assume it’s a man.

Anyway, I sent him a private message explaining the new rules, plus a link to a youtube video explaining the whole thing in more detail, where some of the most outrageous clauses were highlighted in multiple screenshots it contained. This person replied that the video was Western propaganda, which I found astonishing as anyone with a bit of common sense would know it was not but true. I then said I had heard stories about how people got into trouble over what they had said on WeChat. Suddenly, this person began to bombard me with very personal questions like where are you living, what's your job, what's your exact location, are you Chinese, and were you born in China. When I suggested to him that I didn't want to get into any trouble because of what I said and asked if I could skip some of his questions, he became intimidating, saying that I was already in big trouble.  

This persons profile suggests he is German but he speaks fluent English and Mandarin. During our conversation, he even tagged two other people under my post to ask them over. 

I finally deleted that post of mine and blocked this person and one of the people he mentioned. Unfortunately, I can't identify the other person who may still be able to access my profile. 

This whole thing was crazy, scary, and disgusting

Edited by Kenny同志
For better readability

There are some Germans who speak English and Mandarin though (just like I am a Dutchwoman who speaks both). For the rest, yeah, block people like that as soon as you can. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. There are some weird people online.

Since you are in fact Chinese and living in China, you might also want to be careful what you share online. I'm sure you're more aware than I am of what the government does and doesn't like to see.

• Helpful 1

I didn't realise what he was after in the first few minutes. It's so bizarre. 

I'm pretty sure this person is Chinese though his English is flawless. 

It's just that the kind of hatred and hostility he showed towards me was shocking. Apparently, he intended to report me to the police for what I said.

The whole thing was so disgusting. I can't believe this is the 21st century. 

Btw, I don't think this person is the only one. There may be many others lurking out there watching people for saying things that are not politically correct

Edited by Kenny同志
For better readability
  • Like 1

Well...
Reading the Privacy Policy and the other terms is a very good habit with any software.
And to be fair, some western apps aren't much better in my opinion either. At-least with WeChat everyone knows the nature of the game.

On the other hand, it's scary to me how many people seem to, having signed nondisclosure agreements, indiscriminately send confidential work documents over WeChat after also giving full consent to TenCent to do what ever the * they want with those documents. That behavior is just contradictory and in direct violation of their prior contracts and agreements regardless of where they stand in the political issues.

• Like 1

There's a lot of state touts masquerading as other nationalities to post on foreign social media in support of the official line and I've heard examples of behaviour similar to what you encountered too, especially regarding even more sensitive topics. Rumour is they get paid but would think there's plenty of patriotic headbangers who'd bully and snitch for free anyway. Depressing.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 8:46 AM, Jim said:

There's a lot of state touts masquerading as other nationalities to post on foreign social media in support of the official line and I've heard examples of behaviour similar to what you encountered too, especially regarding even more sensitive topics. Rumour is they get paid but would think there's plenty of patriotic headbangers who'd bully and snitch for free anyway.

I think this may be closer to truth. 

On 9/7/2021 at 5:08 AM, alantin said:

On the other hand, it's scary to me how many people seem to, having signed nondisclosure agreements, indiscriminately send confidential work documents over WeChat after also giving full consent to TenCent to do what ever the * they want with those documents. That behavior is just contradictory and in direct violation of their prior contracts and agreements regardless of where they stand in the political issues.

It's sad many people are ignorant of the risks they are taking by doing this. 

This is an update. 

I ran a search of his name on Google. It turns out that his profile is not fake. This guy is a published author, a lecturer at a Chinese university, and a successful businessman who has thrived in China. In a news article about him, he was photographed in the background of a five-starred red flag (五星红旗).