Chinese-Forums

Anti-capitalist poster? 1975

Zeppa

Among the photos I took in Zhengzhou in 1975, I have two shots of what is presumably an anti-capitalist or anti-foreigner poster, together with people looking unhappy about me photographing it. I can remember nothing about the situation - people were normally very friendly and pleased to see us. I can't really read this - e.g. I see that Wang Kangnian is a proper name and he has a brother, but I would be grateful if someone could type out what of the text is legible (my Chinese is really ropy). And what would the overall meaning and context of this poster be?

zhposter2-1.jpg

zhposter1-1.jpg

• Like 2

The first chapter has too many characters I can't quite read, so I'm skipping that one, but here is the rest. What an amazing photo you have there. I'm not sure if the content of the story is something that happened locally, or supposedly happened locally, or is a story from elsewhere, but the illustrations and calligraphy are not something standard.

2. 在电台勾搭上女广播员杨惠倩

--她父亲是巡捕房里的包打听

摇身变为汉奸特务乘龙婿

王康年飞黄腾达有时机

3. 越剧名伶马樟花

筹为行头找店家

王康年热情做掮客

吹得满嘴流油*天花

4. 一笔巨款骗到手

赁房聘人宴酒肉

金漆招牌挂门首

“大康行”老板真派头!

5. 王康年的哥哥王康庆

当年在医院学过生意连

兄弟俩偷天换日制假药

玉米面制成阿斯匹林

商标装璜玻璃瓶

各种假药害人命

• Like 1

Thanks very much. I had done A Level Chinese, for what it's worth, and so I photographed posters in the hope I might read them one day. I didn't do the whole of this one, perhaps because it looks as if it felt uncomfortable, and I have hesitated to post here because I know nothing about it.

Here's what I could read of the first panel:

事情发生在二十年前
解放日报有登X
旧上海有个王康年
十六岁就鬼混在花花世界
来X特务刺客刘仲英
安插在上海大惠电台 充当新闻报告员
X就一张牛皮嘴
招摇X骗吹牛拍马样样全

x where it wasn't clear. Did a search on Li Zhongying and there were some stories about a traitor agent in Shanghai by that name in the 1940s but not much detail on a quick look.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks very much, Jim and Lu - this is great. Silly of me not to attach enough importance to the poster at the time and see it was so different from allthe others. I can actually understand some of it (with the help of the pinyin from Google Translate). The villains do get a Western appearance, don't they? but they were Chinese.

From Wikipedia:

1953年3月25日,有三位高等教育界人士联名,希望了解政府对于王康年等人的处理手段。市委秘书长在下级请示材料上批示,可以书面答复,但不必告知报上未公布的案情。有关部门据此回复,王康年已于1952年2月被执行死刑。

I did see that - is there something I'm overlooking? They would not put it up in 1973, but in 1972 - but on the other hand, it all happened behind closed doors. Still, the 'it was 20 years ago' on the poster suggests it was linked to the date.

• 4 weeks later...

解放日报有登

求师特务刺客刘仲英

安插在上海大电台

就一张牛皮嘴

招摇骗吹牛拍马样样全

行头找店家

吹得满嘴流油乱坠天花

当年在医院学过生意

:)

EDIT: Ha, there's another readable panel

王康年眉开眼笑馋涎滴