Chinese-Forums

Chengdu 101 - orientation for newcomers

Rebecca.Wu

Greetings from Hong Kong

I'm way out of touch with life in Chengdu. I would much appreciate it if anyone could shed some insights on the expat community in Chengdu, especially since I'll be visiting in October.

- What are the main industries that attract expats to live and work in Chengdu,

- How do expats generally locate apartments in Chengdu, especially for the ones that prefer English communication? Are there many service apartments?

- Are there any established websites or publications catering to expats living in Chengdu?

- Where do expats socialize?

Many thanks!

Well, I'll take a crack at this, even though as a poor teacher living month to month, the whole expat lifestyle is quite another universe.

What are the main industries that attract expats to live and work in Chengdu,

Retail: Carrefour has its western HQ there and the only Auchan in China is in Chengdu. Cars: Toyota builds Coaster buses and Prado SUVs. IT/Semiconductors/Misc Hi-Tech: Microsoft, Intel, ABB, and others have, or are setting up, research/manufacturing bases there. Petrochemicals/Mining/Gas: All kinds of nasty and destructive refining/exploration going on around the province.

How do expats generally locate apartments in Chengdu, especially for the ones that prefer English communication? Are there many service apartments?

Most expats (and wealthy locals) live in the south/southwest of the city. Plenty of walled compounds and deluxe development. I know there are some relocation agencies in town, but as I said, that's a whole other world.

Are there any established websites or publications catering to expats living in Chengdu?

No. There used to be a magazine called GO WEST that tried to fill that niche, but I hadn't seen one for many a moon before leaving. Otherwise, it's the English-language insert in the Sunday edition of the Chengdu Ribao or the chengdu.gov website. There's also a Chengdu branch of the long-established Yahoo! group TEFL-China, which you can subscribe to...although as the name suggests, it's generally a teachers' exchange.

Where do expats socialize?

You can try contacting chengduiwc@hotmail.com, which is, I think, the e-mail for the expat women's association in CD...if no, do some online hunting and I think you can find them. There are a few restaurants in town, and a few bars as well, although the Shamrock Pub is really the only one that caters to the broadest swath of expatriates. Here's where I mentioned them in another thread:http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/5-how-many-characters-do-you-know177

• 2 years later...

Hi all Chengdu new comers,

Well, the situation has changed a lot since 2005!!!

More and more foreign companies are deciding to open office/rep. offices/ branches and there are sending more expatriates.

Just wanted to let you know that there are several relocation companies that started activities in Chengdu (I used maxxelli, and I must say they are doing a great job, good support through the lease)

Also, there is a new english monthly magazine called More Chengdu. It just started but its content (listings etc) are really useful when you've just arrived and want to get situated in the city.

Welcome to Chengdu!!

• 5 months later...

Thank you Pierre for this introduction. I am glad to hear you had such good experiences with Maxxelli. For all new comers, you are welcome to contact us if you plan to relocate to Chengdu. A short introduction on our company:

Maxxelli Real Estate is one of the most competitive real estate companies in China. Specializing in China’s second tier cities, Maxxelli Real Estate provides residential, commercial and industrial real estate services in Suzhou, Wuxi, Chengdu, Hangzhou and Chongqing. Maxxelli’s highly skilled team of both expatriate and local professionals offers one-stop solutions for expatriates searching for apartments, serviced apartments, villas, offices and factories in second tier cities in China. Due to its extensive knowledge of the local market, Maxxelli’s services are perfectly tailored to suit corporate clients’ needs. Maxxelli not only provides home search for expatriate employees but also manages tenancy and utilities on their behalf to make their relocation to China as smooth as possible. Our efficient Customer Service team assists clients with city orientation and caretaking services to make expatriates’ lives in China more satisfying and independent.

Our main services include:

Residential Leasing/ Sales

Commercial Leasing/ Sales

Industrial Leasing/ Sales

City Orientation

Caretaking Services

Tenancy Management (After Sales / Contract Management etc.)

Please also visit our website: www.maxxelli.net.

With any request, please call us on (0086) 28 - 8608 8861 or write an email to chengdu@maxxelli.net.

See you soon!