Chinese-Forums

Prioritising / relative importance of skills

杰.克

On 10/23/2021 at 2:15 PM, 杰.克 said:

to communicate as a human being with other human beings ie - language

There is quite big variation here.
I think these all situations qualify as "communicating as a human being with other human beings", but the requirements are obviously quite different:

• Asking for directions on a railway station
  • Haggling over prices at the market
  • Arguing with a significant other
  • Corresponding with a client over email
  • Having a business meeting with a Chinese customer and writing the minutes of the meeting in Chinese to be sent for everyone after the meeting.
  • Creating and giving a presentation of your project proposal to your company's Chinese board members. (including pre-prepared materials like the proposal in writing and your power point slides.)
  • Writing instructions for using equipment for staff in Chinese

Alantin we already did the nth degree atomisation part of the thread pal.

Me and realmayo have started to come to agreement and the end of this conversation now I feel. Lets not go back to it again, It could go on forever

I wonder if moshen, alentin and real mayo can add or edit this and be happy with it:

Overarching statement that there is an order of importance , but that on an individual level this wildy swings, and the individual can adjust the order to fit his or her unique lifestyle.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:36 AM, Insectosaurus said:

This is just silly. Let me guess, your mother tongue is English?

On 10/23/2021 at 3:13 PM, Moshen said:

Nope.  I do NOT agree with this. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:29 PM, Insectosaurus said:

I'm not surprised you don't understand.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:32 PM, Moshen said:

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Given the distinct surprise and ardent rejection of my views by insectosaurus , Moshen, realmayo and alantin. I was quite interested to hear the wider forums views on this. At a first principle level, I thought what I was saying was fairly reasonable- and not just a result of, what I can only assume where the suggested deficiencies of my  "mother tongue being english"  .

As such I decided to put a poll out. Interestingly enough, as it currently stands 75% of the voters agree with me that their is a spectrum of difference. No doubt this is not a perfect experiment, but I am glad to see it confirms this is not a niche view that I hold. 

581080123_Screenshot(38).thumb.png.d9661a6b5026ecf6f5df5bc0b98d5d11.png

Overarching statement that there is an order of importance ,

I and other forum members expressed opposition to the claim "Overarching statement that there is an order of importance," not to the idea that all four language skills are equally important.

There is a huge difference there.  If you can't understand the difference between 1)There is an objective order of importance among the basic 4 language skills (which was the claim we objected to) and 2)People have a personal opinion on which skills they'd like to develop for themselves (nothing to disagree with there) - then there is nothing more any of us can say on this controversy.