Chinese-Forums

Uproar in Heaven, Monkey King, animated film (please help)

Davidh

Thank heavens, I am NOT ALONE.

More people here that loves a movie which is so wonderful, but totally impossible to get!!

Unbelievable.

If ANYONE knows WHERE I can get this movie, I prefer ORIGINAL language (Mandarin) with English Subtitles.

Seen it twice on TV, somewhere around 1980.

One time on Dutch TV, and one time on the BBC.

I didn't have a VCR back then, and that's a damn pity.

Haven't seen an animation movie that was better....

And I've seen quite a few in my lifetime.

Please YELL if you know something.

I've written the Chinese Embassy in the Netherlands to get a fax or e-mail address from the Shanghai Animation Film Studio.

It's quite strange that they this movie isn't on DVD yet.

sherill@lycos.nl

I'm from Amsterdam/The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful! We're beginning to be quite a bunch of Europeans searching for this movie :D If you do get contact, please post it here

Swedish Television has this info on the film:

Titel: KUNG MARKATTA UPROAR IN HEAVEN (CHINA TV EXP AND IMP) [orig]

Sänt: 1978-12-23 21.04-22.50 TV2

Speltid:106.00

Repris:

1980-01-02 KL:17.40-18.25

1980-01-03 KL:17.45-18.22

1980-01-04 KL:17.59-18.30

Innehåll: EN KINESISK SAGA FÖR STORA OCH SMÅ. TECKNAD LÅNGFILM OM APKUNGEN SUN WU-KUNG

Anmärkning

Swedish title, English title, broadcast dates.. ..not that it helps our cause.. "China TV EXP AND IMP", didn't find that company trough google.

cheers!

David

• 2 months later...

thanks, laolee, I'm still looking for it.

Too bad it's just chinese subs, it would have been so easy for them to include english subtitles. But thanks anyway, I'll e-mail them a question when/if they expect an international release.

nice DVD cover by the way.

• 2 months later...

I just watched this this week and really enjoyed, even without English subs. One thing, though, according to the bcdb.com entry, the original running time was 120 minutes, this version is about 85 minutes. Did not notice except the ending was possibly trimmed. Otherwise, fantastic!

Another plus that I didn't realize is that the disc also includes the 1941 b/w film Princess Iron Fan about 75 minutes long. What a great unexpected bonus.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this topic because I have the VCD set of the Shanghai Monkey King and the quality is horrible--blurry and dark. I saw it in Shanghai in the mid-Nineties and I know the quality is better than this. Someone commented that quality varies. I bought this from Chinasprout, which, one would think, would carry the best quality. I'm going to write them, although it's been about a year and a half (I think) since I bought it.

Sandra

• 8 months later...
Jag har det du söker! Så maila mig cain_makai@hotmail.com.

Om du fortfarande söker efter den förståss. ;)

Javisst. Du har fått e-mail!

(you've got mail 8) )

I've also made an order on amazon.com for the book. Yes' date=' I am fascinated by this amazing Chinese story and I'll introduce it to my nephews.

Cheers!

[img']http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0962076511.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]

• 5 months later...

But I think I was the only one who had it! My father recorded it on BETAMAX (yes.. BETAMAX!) and I looooved that film. I saw it with the original sound and a narrator in spanish, but now im looking for it either in english or spanish, preferebly subtitled.

I know nobody has posted anything in here for a few months, but if you have any information that might help me, that would be great!

I think I'm the only person in Venezuela and maybe latinoamerica that has seen that movie, or at least still remembers about it.

Thanks a lot for whatever help you may give me..

Chao

-

FYI David,

those cartoons are just episodes based from a classical Chinese novel (fantasy fiction) called 'Journey to the West' (Xi You Ji).

Probably you should consider reading that novel (highly recommended).

But I haven't succeeded in finding the complete (English) text online.

http://www.chinapage.com/monkey/monkey.html

http://www.monkeyheaven.com/books_literature.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/7119016636/103-8316348-8104664?v=glance&n=283155

-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...