Chinese-Forums

quartett (German football)

Kenny同志

I guess ‘’quartett‘’ might be the German word for 'quartette'  but what does it mean in the first picture? What are the things pictured? Are they magazines?

I'm sorry folks. I've got too many questions...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=quartett+%2Btopps&biw=1024&bih=481&sxsrf=AOaemvKOIVHaIX5_3aGDANNT6AwCIFjUPw:1636209272431&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj09dfD-oP0AhXO6J4KHXeLBsMQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw

They look to be similar to what in the UK we called Top Trumps  https://boardgamemanuals.fandom.com/wiki/Top_Trumps - collectible cards each featuring a star with a list of different rated attributes that you can compare in a game - the "trump" coming from the trump card in bridge or whist, though in this case the object is to pick the attribute of the card you play that might be stronger - i.e. one player might be a good passer but has low stamina so ask to compare the former stat when it's your turn.

IIRC you bought the whole pack at a go but they might sell them as singles in convenience stores like they do with the collectible stickers.

• Like 2

I'm not sure exactly what the question is, but the Quartett in your image search is simply a brand name for a specific card game involving Bundesliga footballers (their website has the rules here). Quartett is the same word as in English, although as @Publius mentioned it is also the name of a card game, same in Swedish (kvartett).

• Like 1

Seems like there is an English name for the card game as well. Quartets. Top Trumps is mentioned in the article as well. I think it's been made clear, but it's perhaps worth to point out anyway: Quartett in your post is a brand name, but based on the card game by the same name. It would have been clearer in other languages, but might be confusing in German since all nouns begin with capital letters.

• Like 1

Just for future reference: Quartett is indeed the name of a game (and also the word for the corresponding deck of cards you can buy) and exactly equivalent to top trumps. In these pictures, Quartett is not the brand name, topps is. It's a Bundesliga Quartett (Bundesliga top trumps) game published by topps.

• Helpful 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:59 AM, Jellyfish said:

In these pictures, Quartett is not the brand name, topps is. It's a Bundesliga Quartett (Bundesliga top trumps) game published by topps.

I'm not a native English speaker, but my understanding is that that's what's called a brand name? As per Oxford:

a name given by the maker to a product or range of products, especially a trademark.

Is there something about the term I've misunderstood?

• Like 1

A brand is usually the manufacturer (especially if it's a well known one). Examples for brands are Nike, Adidas, Gucci, Apple, Starbucks etc. I guess calling topps a brand is pushing it a bit since I've never heard of them but I'm sure they'd have trademarked their own name so I suppose it still holds.

Quartett is not a brand, just a type of card game - top trumps as opposed to poker or whatever. It's not a trademarked term either so any publisher (/brand) could publish a Quartett deck if they wanted to. If Starbucks were to come in and make a coffee top trumps deck, that would be a Starbucks (brand) Quartett (type of game).  Hope that makes sense. :)

• Like 1