Chinese-Forums

三体 Movie Trailer

ablindwatchmaker

Well, it looks promising. This is made by Tencent, right? The casting seems okay, apart from 常伟思's voice and older 叶文洁's makeup.

I was relieved to hear that Netflix acquired the rights to adapt the books. I tried to watch 流浪地球, twice, but couldn't finish it. Remove the dazzling visual effects and there's nothing left but bad acting and ridiculous dialogues. My friend and I agree that 吴京 (the astronaut) is a disaster. He delivers his lines in such a way that is more suitable for poetry recital and vividly reminds me of the 60s movies. So, this Tencent series couldn't be worse than that, or could it?

• Like 3

Looks awesome.  I'd also like to see a Netflix trailer to compare!

Having both a Netflix and a Tencent version competing will be interesting.  That almost never happens, someone usually gets exclusive rights.  Also, one will be presenting the story from a more "Chinese" point of view vs. one with a more "Western" point of view, so that'll create plenty of drama on the internet too.

I don't know anything about the track record of Tencent productions.  D&D (the showrunners) did a really good job with the early seasons of Game of Thrones, when they had an existing script to work off, so I'm hopeful. 

Less said about D&D in the later seasons of GoT the better :)

• Like 1

@Publius

Yes, Tencent. I thought the cinematography was pretty solid and really did a good job bringing the scenes from the book to life. 雷达风 looks exactly how I imagined it, as do many of the other scenes. As for that other movie…Best to forget about it lol. 

@phills

You two are right, it ultimately did get picked up by Netflix. D&D did a fantastic job with most of GOT, it only really got bad in the last 2 seasons, and even then season 7 still had some memorable moments. As you said, 三体 is a complete work, so they should be able to do a really solid job with it. I blame GRRM for a lot of went wrong. He clearly didn’t have a clue how he was going end the series and just threw some spaghetti at the wall in the form of “advice” to D&D. I’m really getting sick of these guys who can’t write a proper ending—Patrick Rothfuss I’m looking at you. Maybe we can hire Brandon Sanderson to finish all of these series ???

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, ablindwatchmaker said:

I blame GRRM for a lot of went wrong. He clearly didn’t have a clue how he was going end the series and just threw some spaghetti at the wall in the form of “advice” to D&D.

Hear, hear. I've read the books and I want my money back. I genuinely think GOT is one of the rarer cases where a screen adaptation is an improvement over the original work (another one I can think of is perhaps The Shawshank Redemption).

• Like 2

@Publius

This is exactly why I have so much respect for Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan. The man knew he couldn’t finish it and did the right thing by finding a replacement. GRRM has ruined his legacy by not being able to finish, and I feel that way about any artists who hook their audiences with tons of promises and then fail to provide payoffs. 

Shawshank was an amazing movie, but I never read the book so I’ll have to take your word for it ?