Chinese-Forums

WHICH IS BETTER?

Pall

WHICH IS BETTER?

Hi,

I have finished the first step in learning HSK words simultaneously with learning to speak, basing on the Radical Organized HSK Wordlist, since the words are first of all memorized from my language to Mandarin, not the opposite, and it's done in whole phrases and expressions. I would like to ask you which portion of the total bulk of the work I should do next.

I rewrote ten stories for kids, composed by a Chinese writer, in semi-transcription view, i.e. all HSK(1-6) words being written with the supporting character only. In this first step I targeted the first half of the Part 3 of the list, with which it begins. It's ten radicals section, comprising about 1/4 of the total number of the words, i.e. around 1250 words. The transcription used for these targeted words is Cyrillic mupin You should not be afraid of that because the words in such view appear only once (maybe two, if they are used in the title, too), further in the text they're already in characters. And they can be coppied and pasted to the search engine of the Excel wordlist file to look up for their complete character form and English translation. HSK words from the second half of the Part 3, as well as Parts 2 and 1, are in semi-character-semi-pinyin view, they also can be copied&pasted to the Excel file to search, but they don't change their appearance even if they occure several times (in the texts to follow for other portions of the wordlist they will be targeted words). The words of the targeted section are marked in red, the words of the second half of the Part 3, Part 2 and Part 1 are in orange.

Then I decided to limit the level of the words, which are used in their complete set, by up to HSK4 for this first step. So, I inserted word use sample phrases for the rest of the HSK(1-4) words of this first section of the list, which didn't happen to occur in the texts. The phrases are basicly marked in blue. After each story you can find all those phrases in normal character writing. And I learnt all the words, with phrases fleshcards, both from the basic texts and the inserts.

In characters only are (1) veru frequently used words, (2) one-character words, (3) words from the part 4, which are considered not having supporting characters (only 15% of the total). 

Words beyond HSK are shown in piniyn only, they also can be looked up in the Excel list.

Now I would like to ask you which is better, to proceed with the same ten radicals section, inserting phrases for HSK 5, marking them in green, and HSK 6, marking those in violet (also adding some 20-30 basic stories), or to prepare similar set of texts for the second half of the part 3 for HSK(1-4) words instead, to comprise 50% of the list (but up to HSK 4 only)? I started to translate the junction phrases from Russian to English, but did that only for some of them.

More details about the method are at https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/61595-using-radical-organized-hsk1-6-wordlist-to-learn-chinese/

Part3_first_half-Up_to_HSK4.docx Radical_Organized_HSK(1-6)_Wordlist1.xlsx

Well, more than 40 people saw, but no one adviced. However I should move somewhere. Because the method simultaneously with memorizing words in characters allows to learn how to speak, so I decided  to go firstly through the whole wordlist to use the words up to HSK 4 level, since the HSK4 is the MUST vocabulary for speaking. After that I'll go section by section, comprising all the words up to HSK 6 level, that is firstly for the purpose of smooth reading after I've learnt the whole list. 

Nevertheless, if I am advised to complete firstly this first section up to HSK 6 level, I may change my mind.

No, I'll go in quite different direction, none of the two. First of all I'll do the Part 4, words of very rare and unique radicals. Although it's only 15% of all the HSK 5,000 words, they are the most varied in outline (due to which considered not having "supporting characters") and so most difficult to remember. And I'll work it through completely, up to HSK6. Only after that I'll do something else. Moreover, I guess, that after having memorized this part reading will be much more enjoyable even though I don't know many Chinese words so far.