Chinese-Forums

What's a good China-themed Secret Santa gift?

vellocet

Since we're all stuck in China again for the second Christmas in a row, I'm having to participate in the laowai Christmas parties which I usually miss, as I spend the holidays back in the States.  There's a Secret Santa gift exchange, which if you don't know means everyone brings a present and then draws lots to see who gets whose gift.  The spending limit is ¥50.  I want to get a cool China-related gift which the recipient will actually use.  Ideally a month later the person would say, "Hey, thanks for that _________, actually I use it a lot!"  Most people just wimp out and get a bottle of wine, re-gift some tea they were given, or buy some junk that will only ever sit on the shelf.  When I say China-themed it doesn't need to mean Tang dynasty or Chinese script, modern China is fine too.  If I can't find anything I'll just get a phone charger power bank from Mini So.

I hate the secret Santa concept. It epitomizes thoughtless materialism and consumerism.

I'm glad you want to gift something that will actually be useful. One of the worst gifts I've seen (thankfully not received) was a tawdry Santa-themed snow globe.

I hate the secret Santa concept.

Not in China, but I once got a ride in a WWII-era two-seater private plane as my Secret Santa gift.  The pilot/plane owner was one of the other guests.  Half an hour into the flight, I lost my breakfast all over the place... but it was still a fun experience.

• Like 2

consider a good quality thermos. Something almost anyone can appreciate. I think 50 yuan can get you something decent 

my last secret santa (well dirty santa where you swap presents), i ended up with a popcorn machine..... I used it once and left it curbside when I moved houses a few months later

• Like 1

at our office this year we're doing secret Santa where we're assigned to a specific person randomly...that way the gift can be more thoughtful and useful.

idk where you are but here in Shanghai by 人民广场地铁站 there's a 刮刮卡摊 for if you want to buy scratch offs. not sure how that's not gambling but it's there if you need a generic gift