Chinese-Forums

Employment Blacklist unable to get a new job

Aussietom

• New Members

Basically I was working for a kindergarten where one day the police came and arrested 4 foreign teachers. Unknown to me I was working illegally basically on my working permit it said the company name but a different location. I had to pay a fine and spend two weeks in a detention center.

I didn't get a criminal record and have documents to prove it where after asking multiple people I was advised to get a new job in a different city.

Three months later after accepting a job in three different cities around China all were unable to process my working visa saying that I'm on the blacklist.

I have a few questions and hope someone can help.

Is it possible to get off this blacklist?

Will any company in China be able to hire me?

What happens when my current residence permit runs out in 4 months?

Any help is appreciated 

Thank you

Getting sent to a detention centre in China is a real black mark against you. It may well be treated technically as a police administrative matter not a criminal case.  And there may well be no formal blacklist with your name on it since you weren't deported.

But there is no doubt a record that you served two weeks in detention. And anyone processing your paperwork who comes across that record will probably instinctively put your papers in the reject pile.

No harm trying of course but you shouldn't be surprised if you get nowhere.

Do not want to dishearten you, but in this current climate in China which is pretty much anti-foreigner, I would leave the country and look for employment in another place if I were you.

One of my foreign friends teaching in Shanghai suffered a raid similar to yours: school was inspected by the police, documents of foreign teachers had issues, they got detained (though for one week only). Then the school where they were teachers did not want them to go back, and because of the police filing, the other schools contacted were not so keen on employing her. In the end, she returned to her home country. And this was in the pre-pandemic era, where tolerance level was much higher towards foreigners.

• Like 1

Gotta love it.  We didn't tell you you were working illegally, you got busted because of us, and now we don't want to employ you because that looks bad on us.  Classic China.

I'd apply around at at LOT of schools. Someone out there needs a teacher badly and is willing to overlook the transgression. Make it clear beforehand what the situation is.  Probably one out west that is desperate enough to hire you.  Try Gansu, Sichuan, Yunnan, Inner Mongolia, etc.  

If it turns out it actually is impossible to hire you, please report back with what they said exactly.  

This type of thing was all too common 10 years ago. I lived in Hong-Kong but would often run into ex pats who were fleeing from their Teach English in China jobs.  I met a family on a plane who had been expelled after living there for years because of the Asia games and the government not wanting too many foreigners around to talk to reporters. Unfortunately China is not really an immigration friendly country, it's great to stay and live for a while but when China wants you gone you are done.